Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Mixing Corydoras? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/mixing-corydoras-88954/)

angella 12-27-2011 02:03 PM

Mixing Corydoras?

Hello guys :-D

Soo I am in the process of completing my 55gal long tank. The water temp is going to be stable at 76-77F, and I plan to have one or two Bolivian Rams, if they pair.
1-2 Siamese Algae Eating Sharks
8 Red Eyed Tetras
8 Silvertip Tetras
20 Neon Tetras

and I would like to add maybe 10 Cordoras..

I already have the neons and they are thriving. The water parameters are soft and pH is 7.1 or so, I will be adding driftwood soon so I expect that to lower. My tank is completely cycled and has several plants and I will be making it pretty dense once I get my driftwood and the plants I intend to add. Lots of hiding spots already though. My substrate is a dark brown and I am getting water sprite and amazon frogbit soon, so floating plants will be present.

I want to know if this sounds suitable for Corydoras, and also if I can mix the varieties? I would like 2-3 albinos, pandas, bandits, etc. for an amount of maybe 10 or more corys...

Thanks everyone,
Angella

Byron 12-27-2011 02:46 PM

Corys are fine. I would try for a minimum of three of each species, though 4-5 is "better" for some. But with more corys of whatever species, they will be settled. The more the merrier, and you have the space.

A caution on the Siamese Algae Eater. If you really like this as a fish, I would stay with just one. A shoaling fish, it should have a group of 5-6 and the species will form a hierarchy within the group. With just 2 or 3, this may result in one dominant fish and the other hounded to death. This fish grows to 6 inches so it is large. It is also often confused with the False SAE and the Flying Fox; more info in the profiles.

angella 12-27-2011 03:23 PM

Oh ok, thanks =) I will just get 4 of any of the corydoras varieties I like. I wasn't sure about the space but I guess my tank isn't that heavily stocked, or won't be anyways.

I will just get one SAE then, and I will try and make sure it is the right kind lol. They for sure weren't the Chinese once though because they had the stripe and not the dots that I see on the CAE profile.

Byron 12-27-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angella (Post 931362)
Oh ok, thanks =) I will just get 4 of any of the corydoras varieties I like. I wasn't sure about the space but I guess my tank isn't that heavily stocked, or won't be anyways.

I will just get one SAE then, and I will try and make sure it is the right kind lol. They for sure weren't the Chinese once though because they had the stripe and not the dots that I see on the CAE profile.

It's just my personal preference, but I would not get a SAE until later, if at all. I think you can build a nice community and that would not really be the best fish to include. Down the raod you may come across several substrate fish that are quite unique and peaceful, but not with one of these guys. It also does better with more water flow than most forest fish prefer.

angella 12-27-2011 03:42 PM

I won't get him then. He was super cute but if you feel that way then I'm not that attached to the whole idea, and I really want this tank to work out well.

Thanks a lot =)