Tropical Fish Keeping banner

They Hatched

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  fish_4_all 
#1 ·
I finally have a cluster that decided to hatch after the first 10 didn't. It was weird to see those little tiny see through shells on the foam. I thought they had dried out because they didn't make it to the water but I have seen at least 5 of them sliding their way across the tank. Will be interesting to see what colors they turn out to be.

Trish, what other colors do you have in your breeding stock that I might want to watch for? I like surprises.

#3 ·
Whoo hoo! I knew you, ok they! could do it!! :) How long did it take?

If these are strictly the dark striped purples and the magentas as parents, most likely those are the kind you will have. You always have the chance of a wild card in there. I've gotten a few solid in color. As they grow, anyone with speckles of color will end up having stripes. Don't be suprised at the vastly different rate of growth. Some will be the size of quarters, while others aren't even as large as a pea.

Post pics when you can.

#4 ·
The first batch only took 8 days to hatch. The next ones seem to be taking a ittle onger but they look good so far. I am fairly certain they are only from the magentas so I should have amix as I do not who is momma and who is daddy, or even if more than 1 has layed the clutches as I have only seen one actually lay one and 2 of them showed up the same day.

I like wild cards, any solids or even an albino would be awesome. Hopefully I will have enough survive to the size of a pea to know for sure if I have any wild cards.

#6 ·
They are very tiny when they hatch; about the size of a pin-head.

8 days is very fast for hatching. Pretty much the bare minimum so something worked well for you. It must have been quite warm.

I've gotten some I believe are called "peppermint". They are mostly white with thin pink stripes. They'll all be gorgeous. It's so fun to watch them develop.

#7 ·
Teeny tiny is more like it. I have fresh water limpets in with them that are bigger tha they are. I have no clue how many I have because like a dummy I didn't put the net breeder in there thinking I had about a week before they hatched. I have seen as many as 4 of them but have just left them to their skill to survive. I have 1 in the net breeder and it is harder to find than the water fleas.

I will post pictures as soon as I can see them. :shock:

#10 ·
Well I am not sure if any of the first batch survived or not. I have not seen them moving around and almost all the shells are empty. I am not for sure but I have had an explosion of waterfleas or something similar and I am thinking that maybe the baby snails are being eaten by them.

I think I have 2 more clutches that are realy close to hatching so we will see if I have any survive this time. I really hope to get one of those oddity colors.

#12 ·
I have the clutches in a net breeder now so that I can see when and get an idea of how many hatch. I will say it is hard to tell wether they are alive or not but the shells do get rearanged every night when I move them to the middle of the breeder so there has to be something moving around in there. I did see at least one on the side so that is good and hopefully there are more that just lay dormant during the day and come out to feed at night. The net breeder is kinda close to the light so they may not like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.