Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Tank is cycled...Tap H20 Problem???? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tank-cycled-tap-h20-problem-88871/)

Moleen 12-26-2011 06:12 PM

Tank is cycled...Tap H20 Problem????

Hi,

I took a trip today to go to a well-known fish store. This place was like Disney World for fish! The staff was fabulous and so helpful. Here is my problem....my tank H2O tested at .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites and .5 nitrates. I tested my Tap H2O and it tested .25 for ammonia (0 for nitrite/nitrate). I brought samples of my tank and tap H2O so they could test it at the store. They got the same readings of .25 ammonia for my tap H2O. The woman who was assisting me told me that I had 2 choices.....I either use bottled H2O to do water changes or by a tap water filter. She told me because my tap water contains ammonia and if I keep using it I'll never get my ammonia down to zero. Well, I have to admit, that made sense to me.

I ended up spending $80 bucks on a tap water filter by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Well the piece of crap leaked from both ends and took forever to fill up 5 gallons! I plan on taking it back...I don't expect things to leak for $80.00! It looks very cheaply made too! Does anyone have any experience with this product?

I bought a bunch of plants and pulled out all my plastic stuff. The store sold me Seachem Flourish Excel, Potassium and Trace. (I just pray they didn't come with snails!!!! ) I also got the root tabs. I have no idea what type of plants I have...I just asked her to pick me out some easy to grow stuff that doesn't need to much light.

What should I do about my tap H2O? Should I just trade in the tap H2O filter for another one? I don't want to spend the rest of my life buying bottled H2O!!! Thanx, for any advice!

I down graded my 6 inch bubble wand to just a single stone. Do I need to just remove the stone entirely?

Project1 12-26-2011 06:17 PM

i buy water from the grocery store by gallon most of the time for top off purposes but normally if i need alot of ro di water i goto a salt water store that i frequent and the sell fresh and salt water. like a dollar a gallon or around that price. the grocery store is like 85 cents a gallon

smiles 12-26-2011 07:32 PM

If you use seachem prime to dechlorinate the tap water you shouldn't have any trouble. Prime takes toxic ammonia in the water and turns it into non-toxic ammonium. The change doesn't last forever but it should be long enough to protect your fish until the plants and bacteria can remove the ammonia. Another option would be to collect and use rain water (if it's not too polluted where you live) to dilute your tap water a little. Too bad about the filter, I would definitely take it back if I were you! It sounds like a rip off. Live plants are a great idea, post a picture of them and I'm sure someone would be happy to identify them.

As a side note - dont be tempted to use a simple tap water filter (such as a britta or pur) to remove the chlorine and ammonia. I tried that and the filter made the pH jump from 6.4 to 8.4 for some reason.

Mean Harri 12-26-2011 08:06 PM

Did you buy the API Ttap water filter that is a cylinder and makes deionized water? I just ordered one. They are $43 at Drs Foster and Smith and Amazon.com. If that's what you bought then be glad it leaked because you paid double.

I had one years ago. They do work, the API tap water filter it's called. You have to add your minerals and ph up or down to set the parameters you want. The unit makes pure H2O. There's nothing in it after it comes out of the filter.

zof 12-26-2011 08:23 PM

I think your fretting over nothing to big, the biological filter will grow to help handle the ammonia coming from the tap, so after 24-48 hours I would think ammonia would be back down to 0 after a water change. As simles pointed out Prime and a few other water conditioners actually turn the ammonia into ammonium which is more safe for the fish, also allows plants to easily absorb it faster too.

I'm afraid there is no quick and easy answer getting into plants though, run over to the planted section of the forum and read byrons 4 posts about plants, also a little surprised the shop would give you excel and not sell you compressive which is the actual fert as excel is just a co2 supplement.