Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Anemone Hosting Qs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/anemone-hosting-qs-88845/)

futbalstud42 12-26-2011 11:53 AM

Anemone Hosting Qs

I have 2 Ocellaris clowns in a 29 gal tank. I am wanting to add an anemone for them. My wife wants to get a Long Tenticle but we have some crushed coral in the sand, and iv read that they are iffy about hosting. I would like to have a Carpet anemone, but i am affraid it would get much to large for the tank. We can somewhat agree on a BTA.

So my questions are:

1 Can an anemone be fragged like a coral once it gets to big?

2 What is the likely hood of one of these three anemones hosting a pair of tank raised ocellaris?

3 Which anemone whould be best suited for a 29 gal tank in the hands of a beginer? This is my first tank and it has been up since august

Reefing Madness 12-26-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futbalstud42 (Post 930366)
I have 2 Ocellaris clowns in a 29 gal tank. I am wanting to add an anemone for them. My wife wants to get a Long Tenticle but we have some crushed coral in the sand, and iv read that they are iffy about hosting. I would like to have a Carpet anemone, but i am affraid it would get much to large for the tank. We can somewhat agree on a BTA.

So my questions are:

1 Can an anemone be fragged like a coral once it gets to big?
NO

2 What is the likely hood of one of these three anemones hosting a pair of tank raised ocellaris?
Not going to be easy. You'll likely have to tape a picture of a Clownfish in the Anemone for them to get the hint.

3 Which anemone whould be best suited for a 29 gal tank in the hands of a beginer? This is my first tank and it has been up since august

BTA do not need substrate, you can put them in the rocks. And they will stay relatively small, compared to the others you are looking at. But, if choosing, I'd go with either the LTA or the BTA, the Carpet will get way to big on you.

futbalstud42 12-26-2011 01:50 PM

really tape a picture to it??

Reefing Madness 12-26-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futbalstud42 (Post 930424)
really tape a picture to it??

I know it sounds funny, but it works. Out of most Clownfish, the Tank raised Oc are a bit on the, umm can't figure it out side of things, so they need alittle help.

futbalstud42 12-26-2011 07:06 PM

how do you tape it to the anemone??

onefish2fish 12-27-2011 06:32 AM

what kind of lighting is on this tank?

the carpet will need halides, and honestly the other 2 would be better off with them too. good CAL, ALK and MAG levels are also required for the nems health. they basically require a reef enviroment.

i vote no anemone ( but ofcourse its not my tank ) as clowns will host what THEY feel comfort in, not what you offer them. granted if theres an anemone available they more then likely would someday catch on, but that choice is theirs, as again its what they feel comfort in. ive seen clowns hosting corals, powerheads, glass scrapers, even a clam.

and the picture gets taped to the outside of the tank, so the clownfish can admire it.

Reefing Madness 12-27-2011 08:22 AM

You tape the picture to the outside of the tank.
:rofl:

futbalstud42 12-27-2011 09:19 PM

Ok that had me really confused. I tend to trust what reefing madness says more than some random poster i have never heard of, but I was questioning that one. Anyway I have 4 t5s 2 10000k and 2 actinics

Reefing Madness 12-28-2011 12:01 AM

:-DFor a 29g, that'll do ya.