Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Oscar or Severum? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/oscar-severum-88739/)

Philnominal 12-24-2011 10:49 PM

Oscar or Severum?

It looks like me and my father will be going on Monday morning to pick up a 75 gallon tank and i would like to keep one of these fish in it. The thing is at the same time i would also (and my mom agrees to the point of saying what good is a tank that big with only 1 fish) like to keep something else in with which ever i decide. I was thinking something along the lines of silver dollars or rainbow fish, though I'm hesitant on the rainbow fish as i think it would be pretty cool to keep a tank with an all Amazonian stock.

What i was thinking was 1 Green Severum/Oscar (whichever we decide), 6 spotted silver dollars (would LOVE redhooks but im thinking they probably get to big for a 75 gallon), 1 bn pleco and maybe some kind of catfish like 4 pictus?

*edit* i also thought of possibly putting a pair of convicts in but for that i need to know A) if i just let nature take its coarse would the convict fry end up being feeders for the other fish or would the parents protect them until they where able to live in the tank and B) would they be to aggressive after breeding to be kept in the same tank as the other fish without someone getting seriously wounded or killed?

Fishguy2727 12-24-2011 10:57 PM

If you did oscars they would basically have to be alone. Go with the severums (I like reds, but if you like greens go with them), the spotted silver dollars, a bristlenose pleco (you may need a few in a 75), and the pictus. I would also do some sort of scavenger like cories or loaches that will always be out and about cleaning for you.

For the convicts I would just do a couple females. They are more colorful anyways and won't create the problems a true pair would.

Philnominal 12-24-2011 11:15 PM

The purpose of the convicts was for their fry though. :P Green is more on a money and ease of being able to find, thing as neither of my parents enjoy spending a lot of money on one fish and since its their tank... I'm not planning on shelling out my $$$ for the stocking. :P If i didn't go for any convicts could i get by with maybe 2 more silver dollars or something? Also my mom has a pair of rosy barbs stuck in a 15 gallon hex... while they are small now i know they wont stay that way so i was hoping to maybe be able to save them out of there with this new tank.

Also what about a small group of redtailed botia? maybe those instead of the pictus?

Like a stocking list of:
1 Green Severum
6/7 silver dollars
5 Redfinned botia
3 BN pleco's?

Also if i went with the botia's would it be a bad idea to go with the long finned BN types?

*Edit the botia would ruin the whole amazonian idea. :/ are there any similar species that would be from the amazon river basin?

Fishguy2727 12-24-2011 11:38 PM

Exact stocking depends mostly on water changes. With enough water changes you can have the full school of silver dollars, the severums, and everything. The amazonian equivalent for loaches are cories. Water changes are adequate if they can keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm.

The rosy barbs would be fine, I would add at least four to give them a full school.

Philnominal 12-24-2011 11:48 PM

I might just scrap the whole amazon idea and instead of going with the silvers go with adding 4 more rosy barbs and the botia. id like to be able to keep the water changes to once/twice every 2 weeks so i don't wish to overstock it too much. Also a deciding factor on the stock is the centerpeice of the tank the severum, i have heard plenty of times that you dont pick their tank mates but rather they do.

Fishguy2727 12-25-2011 07:52 AM

I don't think you have to worry about where they are from. They are all raised on the same farms so they are all used to captive conditions. You can definitely have silver dollars in with barbs.

Water changes should always be weekly and at least 25%, more if needed to keep the nitrate down. It may sound like a lot, but once you get in the habit of it it is nothing and the tank will do very well.

Philnominal 12-25-2011 09:58 AM

I am fully expecting weekly and thats about what i do for my smaller tanks, i just didnt want to have to get to a point where i had to do it more often then that. As for where they are from i just have always wanted to do an amazon bio tank but thats impractical with a sev anyway as i cant do the plants in it. I also dont want to over populate the tank but i know where my parents are concerned more is probably better so i might get silvers and rosy's.