Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   A few questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/few-questions-88692/)

HappyHenson 12-23-2011 09:15 PM

A few questions

I have an African Cichlid in a 44 gal. He is the oly fish in there but my heater is malfunctioning(I think.) It will heat the tank up to about 84 degrees F on the lowest setting. I just don't want to let him boil so I have been pluffing it in at night and unplugging during the day. Would he be OK at that high of a temp or what?

Also, In a month or so I will be ready to stock my brand new 75 Gal!!! I am very excited. My plan for it so far involves 4 angel fish, 4-6 gourami, and a few swordtails... What do ya'll think?

GwenInNM 12-24-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyHenson (Post 928970)
I have an African Cichlid in a 44 gal. He is the oly fish in there but my heater is malfunctioning(I think.) It will heat the tank up to about 84 degrees F on the lowest setting. I just don't want to let him boil so I have been pluffing it in at night and unplugging during the day. Would he be OK at that high of a temp or what?

Also, In a month or so I will be ready to stock my brand new 75 Gal!!! I am very excited. My plan for it so far involves 4 angel fish, 4-6 gourami, and a few swordtails... What do ya'll think?

I think your biggest problem, is the fluctuation of temps. 84 degrees won't kill him, but the swing back and forth in temperature, will cause problems. He'll be more suseptible to illnesses etc. I would get a new heater, ASAP.

Gwen

HappyHenson 12-24-2011 01:58 PM

OK, so for now should I just let him stay at that high of a temp?

GwenInNM 12-24-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyHenson (Post 929355)
OK, so for now should I just let him stay at that high of a temp?

If you completely didn't use the heater, how cold would the water get? You should check out the profiles and look at the ideal water temp for the fish you are talking about. That may help you. I'm guessing short term, a bit warmer would be better than colder. The profiles will also help you with compatible fish for your 55 gallon. I don't think Gourami's should be kept with Angel fish, as they may nip the fins, but I could be wrong. See what others say. Merry Christmas!

Gwen

HappyHenson 12-24-2011 05:57 PM

Merry Christmas to you too!

CAangels16 12-25-2011 02:56 AM

Angelfish and guaramis should be fine together, i have them mixed in my tank and they do not bother each other at all. I would use some caution if you wanted to add a kissing guarami because those are considered to be more aggressive than the other guaramis, but as far as my experience goes you can mix angelfish with guaramis with no problem.

It seems it'll be a nice tank once it is stocked.

HappyHenson 12-25-2011 01:06 PM

Ok, I don't plan on overstocking it so that everyone can have a nice territory established. How many of each type of fish would you suggest?

CAangels16 12-25-2011 01:55 PM

4 angelsfish, 4-6 gauramis, and several swordtail seems like it'll be fine for the final product of the tank. Just be careful to not add too many fish in at once because you might shock the bioload of the tank and kill off your fish. I would start with 2 or three swordtail or even another fish that is cheaper and see how they live in the tank for a couple weeks before adding anything else in. If they seem to be doing good then add in some of the angels, then the guaramis.

Pay attention to the tank before you add more fish to make sure they have enough room, and check to see if the nitrites and nitrates are down before you add more fish in.

HappyHenson 12-25-2011 06:48 PM

Okay thank you very much you all have been very helpful. I have replaced the filter in my poor cichlid's tank and he seems much better and I don't have to worry anymore:)

Byron 01-03-2012 05:18 PM

Just came across this thread, and would like to offer a comment on the idea of angelfish and gourami together. As indicated in our profile, and mentioned by Gwen, this is not a recommended match.

There are a number of guidelines when it comes to keeping fish species together. Most of these are certainly not cut in stone as hard and fast rules. But they are based on scientific fact, and should not be ignored. Fish are sometimes quite individual; not all cichlids, anabantids, characins, etc behave the same even within a given species, but the behaviour of the majority of a species tells us what is programmed into the fish by nature, and this trait is more than likely to occur at some point if the fish is healthy and in a proper environment. Ironically, less than suitable conditions often bring these traits out even worse.

Angelfish and gourami are both territorial, and aggressive to some degree. No mention is made of which gourami species; some easily attain 5-6 inches, comparable to an angelfish. These fish are very likely to view one another as rivals, and a 75g tank (presumably 4 feet in length) is no where near sufficient space for several rival 6-inch fish to cohabit without someone losing. And that means stress which weakens the immune system and leads to various health problems that would otherwise not likely occur. And a shorter lifespan is almost inevitable.

A group of 4 angelfish will almost fill a 4-foot tank; a couple more could be added, I would suggest 5-6, and this might actually be better. The more in the group, the less likely there will be significant damage to a weaker fish, though this too is not always a certainty. When I say "fill" i do not mean no other fish; but a group of angelfish will own a 4-foot tank which is to the fish a very small and confined space. Substrate fish and peaceful upper and mid-water fish can be included, being careful with species to avoid fin-nippers or small fish that will easily be eaten.

Byron.