Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   BN Pleco - Veg Feeding Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/bn-pleco-veg-feeding-question-88521/)

Reece 12-21-2011 11:59 AM

BN Pleco - Veg Feeding Question

So I want to start feeding my BN pleco some veg to see what he thinks of it, but not sure how to keep it in the tank without it floating away. I've seen string ideas but that seems like a bit of a fuss plus I haven't got any string and wouldn't know how to attach it without making the string go over the veg and block the pleco from it. (If that makes sense?). I had an idea where I just bury the cucumber (what I want to feed him) into the gravel slightly. Do you think that would work?

GwenInNM 12-21-2011 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 927045)
So I want to start feeding my BN pleco some veg to see what he thinks of it, but not sure how to keep it in the tank without it floating away. I've seen string ideas but that seems like a bit of a fuss plus I haven't got any string and wouldn't know how to attach it without making the string go over the veg and block the pleco from it. (If that makes sense?). I had an idea where I just bury the cucumber (what I want to feed him) into the gravel slightly. Do you think that would work?

Anchoring veggies by sticking a rock on it, or trying to stick in gravel can work, but often it will pop up when the BN starts eating it. At any petstore that sells fish, you should have no trouble finding a plastic 'clown fish' that has a suction cup. I've been using this, and it works great, as it stays in place, and can be pulled out easy when you want to remove any left over - which I never have, as my BN pleco loves cucumber! Here's a picture of it. I think I paid about $3.50 for it.

Gwen

1077 12-21-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 927045)

You can stab it with a fork and let it fall to the bottom, or wrap a rubberband around it and a rock.
Is what I do.
Just make sure the sharp point's of the fork are buried in the vegetable.

Reece 12-21-2011 12:18 PM

Here's another idea, if I get a slice of cucumber and put half of it under the driftwood in my tank, that should hold it right? I'm pretty sure that I've never seen anything like that in my LFS or anything that holds down veg Gwen.