Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   betta not eating (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/betta-not-eating-8849/)

00ej8 10-17-2007 07:46 AM

betta not eating

So I've had a betta for a couple of months in a 1 gallon tank. It had a cheap filter on it, and I think it stopped working for a few days - the water began to look pretty nasty, with an oily looking film on top. Then we started having problems.

Yesterday, he refused to eat. He would get a pellet in his mouth, but he spat it out every time. He started hanging around near the bottom of the water, and I thought maybe the water was dirty. I immediately bought a new filter and installed it. Also did a 75% water change before adding the new filter.

I checked the parameters before the water change, ammonia and nitrites are zero, nitrates were close to zero as well. Ph is a close to 8.

He did not eat this morning either. The water looks beautiful now, with no film on top.

What should I do? I do not want him to die.

Lupin 10-17-2007 05:48 PM

I find it odd that nitrates are zero before a water change. What test kit are you using? What filter did you use? What did you do to the old filter media?

00ej8 10-17-2007 08:46 PM

used the master test kit from petco.

the new filter is an in-tank style unit with an external air pump.

the old filter media is sitting in the old filter in my garage.

the betta ate 1 food pellet today, and he appears to be a little better. things are looking better!

Lupin 10-17-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00ej8
used the master test kit from petco.

the new filter is an in-tank style unit with an external air pump.

the old filter media is sitting in the old filter in my garage.

the betta ate 1 food pellet today, and he appears to be a little better. things are looking better!

Okay. To clarify further, you should not have pushed aside the old filter media, no matter how you may consider it dirty. It contained beneficial bacteria which can still do wonders to your tank.

As for the test kit, ask when they got them in stock. Is this liquid test kit you're using? Old test kits are not to be relied on. They are quite misleading.

00ej8 10-19-2007 07:42 PM

I tried offering him freeze dried blood worms instead of betta pellets, I'm not sure that he realizes that they are food.

he still eats his pellets, holds them in his mouth, and then spits them out. Aside from that he seems pretty much normal.

I did buy a 2.5g kit the other day, and I'm thinking about transferring him into it. I'm a little worried that he doesn't need the stress at this point, though.

Lupin 10-19-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

I tried offering him freeze dried blood worms instead of betta pellets, I'm not sure that he realizes that they are food.

Problem is bettas are quite fussy when it comes to food.
Quote:

I did buy a 2.5g kit the other day, and I'm thinking about transferring him into it. I'm a little worried that he doesn't need the stress at this point, though.
The larger tank is better. I would suggest providing plants for that tank to make the betta feel more secured.

00ej8 10-20-2007 10:32 PM

by plants do you mean live plants, or just anything for him to hide in? there are two fake plants in the 1g right now, he really enjoys them.

I made a thread in the starting and maintaining section about the transfer of the betta, i'm planning on doing it sunday evening.

Lupin 10-20-2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

by plants do you mean live plants, or just anything for him to hide in? there are two fake plants in the 1g right now, he really enjoys them.

I would prefer live plants. Floating plants at best.

Falina 10-21-2007 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

I would prefer live plants. Floating plants at best.

Live plants are indeed best but fake better than nothing.

Floating plants are good for bettas, but just make sure he still has room to breathe from the surface as bettas are labyrinth fish and need this in order not to suffocate. :)

00ej8 10-21-2007 06:59 PM

he's been moved to a 2.5 with better filtration, and he has gotten his appetite back partially. i'm only feeding every other day now.