Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My 5 gallon tank plans (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-5-gallon-tank-plans-88428/)

fishy friend2 12-19-2011 09:54 PM

My 5 gallon tank plans

Here is my plan for my heavily planted 5 gallon tank, I'm was just wondering if it sounded alright,
Thanks

Stocking
- 3 male pure strain endlers
- 1 male cellophane marble Betta
- 5 to 10 bladder snails
- 1 ramsorn snail
- 5 to 10 ghost shrimp

Plants
It is going to be heavily planted with these plants
- 2 to 3 bunches of hornwort
- 1 to 2 bunches of anacharis
- 1 large amazon sword plant
- 3 small to medium argentine sword plants
- 1 large clump of java moss
- 1 small bunch of Brazilian penny wort
- 1 small bunch of money wort
- possibly some micro swords
- anubias barteri (broad leaf)
- small bunch of ludwiga Repens
- 1 large Stem of wisteria

Substrate
- quick Crete play sand

Supplements
- NutraFin Plant Gro Aquatic Plant Essential Micro-Nutrients
- API Root Tabs Aquarium Plant Fertilizer

Lighting
- One 15 watt lightbulb, that will be on for 8 to 10 hours a day

Heater
- tetra heater 5 to 15 ( non adjustable ) but I decided to read all the reviews and it works well, and I also know someone you uses it in there tank, it keeps it at 78 degrees Fahrenheit

Filter
- Aqua tech power filter 5 to 15

Food
- Tetra Betta Min flakes
- Live Brine shrimp
- Live mosquito larvae
- Live bloodworms

Schedule for feeding
- Monday through friday
- bettamin flakes twice a day every day
- Saturday
- a mix of brine shrimp, bloodworms, and mosquito larvae, along with their regular feeding
- Sunday
Fasting day

Water conditioner
- Tetra Aqua-Safe

Water changes
- Weekly
- One 25% water change
- Monthly
- one 50 % water change
Annualy
- one 100% water change

sam7152004 12-20-2011 11:46 AM

nice!! the only thing is the betta may try to kill the endlers. bettas can be aggressive to other fish with lots of colors. other than that it sounds realy good!:-D

SinCrisis 12-20-2011 04:09 PM

5g is too small for what you want.

Like sam said, the betta is not compatible. Some bettas, depending on temperament, will eat shrimp, snails and attack other fish. If you want the betta, you need to consider removing the endlers, snails and shrimp. Also, snail populations are hard to control, be aware that if they begin to overpopulate they will produce a lot of pollution, esp for a small 5g tank. IMO, the best combination for a 5g is a betta and a big snail like a matured ramshorn or nerite snail. If you really want the shrimp, start off with 1 or two to test if your betta is aggressive towards them. If not, then you can add more. If he is aggressive, then dont add anymore unless its for food purposes.

SomeDudeAtHome 12-20-2011 07:05 PM

I agree with what's been said so far. The beta I have currently has eaten roughly 5 cherry shrimp and 3-4 ghost shrimp. The one ghost shrimp survivor must have come to a agreement with the beta because they leave each other alone now where the beta attacked every other shrimp. I think he didn't like the cherries because of their color but can't explain the ghost. The endlers would also be very risky. If you would like to include other fish try and more bland color nano fish.

fishy friend2 12-20-2011 07:27 PM

thanks for all your replies. i have had this tank setup for about 4 months now with ghost shrimp and endlers, the betta only showed aggression once towards the endlers and that was when they were first introduced into the tank. He has never bothered the shrimp... it may be because he has never actually seen them with all those plants. the Shimp are even breeding successfully, the betta is very docile. but thanks for the heads up. and for the snails i got rid of some and only have 5 bladder snails and 1 mature ramshorn snail, If the snails start to overpopulate the tank, then i already know about the lettuce thing and all that. you said that that is too much for a 5 gallon, what should i get rid of so it is good.

SinCrisis 12-20-2011 09:47 PM

Then you are lucky. Ive owned a few bettas over the years and all of my shrimps have ended up as food. My current betta even hunts down snails like a puffer. He yanks them out of their shells.

sam7152004 12-21-2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishy friend2 (Post 926537)
what should i get rid of so it is good.

It all depends on how many snails you want to have. I added two bontas and in a year all the snails are gone. I've heard of people keeping one bonta in with a snail population that has had time to grow and the snails keep produceing more and the bonta is the population control. If you're going to do this though I would research it more because I don't know if it will eat your ramshead.

fishy friend2 12-21-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 926679)
Then you are lucky. Ive owned a few bettas over the years and all of my shrimps have ended up as food. My current betta even hunts down snails like a puffer. He yanks them out of their shells.

I didn't know that some bettas were that aggressive. I do have a Betta that eats shrimp though, I bought a ghost shrimp and it looked more like a macrobrachium so I put it in. My tank that only has one Betta and no shrimps, and small fish, so I could observ the shrimp..... Within 5 minutes the shrimp was eaten

fishy friend2 12-21-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam7152004 (Post 926904)
It all depends on how many snails you want to have. I added two bontas and in a year all the snails are gone. I've heard of people keeping one bonta in with a snail population that has had time to grow and the snails keep produceing more and the bonta is the population control. If you're going to do this though I would research it more because I don't know if it will eat your ramshead.

I don't want it to eat my snails, TBH the snails population only ever gets larger when I accidentally overfeed

sam7152004 12-21-2011 09:03 AM

Ok. well then you should be good.