Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Stocking question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocking-question-88389/)

fishyfishy86 12-19-2011 03:16 PM

Stocking question

Is this ok for my 24gallon tank? 6 platys, 6 emperor tetras and 2 dwarf gouramis

liz26914 12-19-2011 05:12 PM

well, according to aqadvisor.com, with tht many fish ur tank is 105% stocked. so its a little much. u might want to subtract one fish

Byron 12-19-2011 07:12 PM

Several factors impact stocking. Live plants, weekly partial water changes without fail of 30-50% of the tank volume, the aquascape and environment, and of course the behaviours of the fish. Fish aggression for instance is affected by how the tank is setup, as well as volume. On only the issue of behaviours, male Emperor Tetra can sometimes becomes very "rough" and the gourami would be a natural target.

1077 12-20-2011 01:50 AM

Platy's would prefer cool ,Hard,alkaline water,, and Gourami do better in warmer, softer water. Ditto for Emperor's also.(soft water)
One or the other would not be comfortable In my view.

fishyfishy86 12-20-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 925942)
Platy's would prefer cool ,Hard,alkaline water,, and Gourami do better in warmer, softer water. Ditto for Emperor's also.(soft water)
One or the other would not be comfortable In my view.

Thanks for your opinion but they seem happy enough. I have no idea how soft or hard my water is but the pH is around 7.

fishyfishy86 12-20-2011 10:59 AM

New fish

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz26914 (Post 925492)
well, according to aqadvisor.com, with tht many fish ur tank is 105% stocked. so its a little much. u might want to subtract one fish

I ordered one less fish. Thanks for your advice:)

thekoimaiden 12-20-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyfishy86 (Post 926103)
Thanks for your opinion but they seem happy enough. I have no idea how soft or hard my water is but the pH is around 7.

That's not an opinion. That's a scientific fact. They may seem "happy enough," but when you are keeping each fish in the extremities of their comfort range they will be under more stress. This can cause a higher incidence of disease and often leads to a shorter life span.

CamryDS 12-27-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyfishy86 (Post 926103)

This quote makes me sad....

Fishguy2727 12-27-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 926188)
That's a scientific fact.

No, that is not a scientific fact. Even stocking calculators are just an opinion of the people who designed them. Water changes have a MASSIVE impact on stocking, so plugging in a couple species, numbers, and filter into a calculator says squat.

If you are doing enough water changes to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm then you are not chemically overstocked. Then it is just a matter of having enough physical space for the fish to not stress each other out.

Stocking an Aquarium

Byron 12-27-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 (Post 931348)
No, that is not a scientific fact. Even stocking calculators are just an opinion of the people who designed them. Water changes have a MASSIVE impact on stocking, so plugging in a couple species, numbers, and filter into a calculator says squat.

If you are doing enough water changes to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm then you are not chemically overstocked. Then it is just a matter of having enough physical space for the fish to not stress each other out.

Stocking an Aquarium

Just to clarify, the "scientific fact" that Izzy was referring to was 1077's post about water parameters including temperatures. Not the stocking guide, which I agree is not reliable. There is good science in that article you linked, stuff I have written over and over here.:-) Nitrate is only one issue, there are several factors all equally important as that article points out as one reads through it.