Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   ID and profile please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/id-profile-please-8838/)

benny503 10-17-2007 02:48 AM

ID and profile please

My friend gave me 10 of these fishes two weeks ago, he used these fishes to cycle his water and didn't know what to do with them. He gave them to me so I put it in a 35 gals hex tank. I fed them with blood worms and TetraColor "tropical granueles" twice per day. They seem to get bigger then two weeks ago, currently they all are about 1". I dont know anything about these fish, I have searching around for the profile but haven't found anything beside the picture that I got from cichlids.com. Does anyone here have any information about this fish?

FYI: I got this picture from cichlids.com, this fish look exactly like mine.

benny503 10-17-2007 02:52 AM

Sorry I can't attach my fish pictures. Let me try it again... Thank you all

http://www.cichlids.com/typo3temp/pics/b8ac0f29cc.jpg

Lupin 10-17-2007 03:14 AM

Firemouth Cichlid. For a 35g hex, I'd keep only a pair. If they breed, they become extremely aggressive and may constantly harass the rest of your fish. A hex tank does not have enough space to allow others to escape their aggression.

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

benny503 10-17-2007 06:16 AM

Thank you for your warm welcome Lupin, I have been on this site for awhile but most likely reading other people posts.

Just another question, i do have two more tanks, one is 40 gals which is empty right now. the other one is 30 Gals and I am using it as community tank. Currently in my 30 gals i have 4 zebra danios, 5 silver tips, 2 cat fish and a pleco... do you think the 30gals tank with this much fish can fit two more firemouth cichlids? And can i put the rest of them into my new 40 gals tank? Thanks... benny

Lupin 10-17-2007 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benny503
Thank you for your warm welcome Lupin, I have been on this site for awhile but most likely reading other people posts.

Just another question, i do have two more tanks, one is 40 gals which is empty right now. the other one is 30 Gals and I am using it as community tank. Currently in my 30 gals i have 4 zebra danios, 5 silver tips, 2 cat fish and a pleco... do you think the 30gals tank with this much fish can fit two more firemouth cichlids? And can i put the rest of them into my new 40 gals tank? Thanks... benny

Hi Benny.

As your firemouths are still young, a 40 gallons should accommodate all your firemouths. Allow them to grow and if you plan to breed, allow them to pair. Once you obtain a pair or two, you can sell the rest and put a pair in a 35g and another in a 40g. It is up to you how many pairs you want. I wouldn't however place them in a community. It is far too risky and at 5-6 inches in size, they will surely consume the tetras and danios and even harass the catfishes once they spawn.

benny503 10-17-2007 03:46 PM

Thanks Lupin,

I am going to buy a bigger tank for them a 75gal or bigger. I saw the way they are growth it very quick. I hate to seperate all these fish to difference tanks, is that ok if i can keep all of them in the same tank? What will be the normal tank size for 10 of them togheter?

Lupin 10-17-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benny503
I am going to buy a bigger tank for them a 75gal or bigger. I saw the way they are growth it very quick. I hate to seperate all these fish to difference tanks, is that ok if i can keep all of them in the same tank? What will be the normal tank size for 10 of them togheter?

They're still young so you'll be okay to raise them altogether however the moment they pair up, this is where your problems start.

benny503 10-19-2007 07:53 AM

Got it... thank you very much for all your helps Lupin.