Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Immediate help needed please!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/immediate-help-needed-please-8824/)

seo 10-16-2007 09:08 AM

Immediate help needed please!!

Hi guys, I hope someone can help asap! We just received word that we get to pick up a 175 gallon tank tonight that is currently running with cichlids (no clue how many or what species right now) So here's my question, we currently have a 30 gallon tank running and it's pretty much maxed out right now with stock (have 9 cichlids and 1 pleco) So would the new cichlids be ok in that tank while we get the new tank set up- for a couple hours? Or could anyone think of a better way to do this? This tank just came up and is an amazing price so we have to pounce. Don't really want more fish right now, but they come with the tank so I guess we have to take them Just wondering how on earth to make this work at this point.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Falina 10-16-2007 09:12 AM

For an hour or 2 I guess it would be OK, but not ideal obviously. Just watch out for any agression, especially if you don't know what type of cics they are.

What I would say though, is the tank will need to be cycled before you can safely add the fish tot he 175g, how are you going to do this in an hour or 2? :?

seo 10-16-2007 09:19 AM

I know, I completely agree! I'm guessing I'll just toss in some start right and hope for the best. I'm not moving my fish in, just the fish it comes with I guess. I hope they will be ok and no, it's not ideal, but like I said this deal just came up and we must take fish too so I guess we set it up and add the original fish into it, cross our fingers and hope for the best! We'll cycle before adding our fish in. I know it sounds horrible, but we don't really have much choice at this point considering it comes with it's own fish. We recently purchased an 80 gallon (that we'll be selling) and had hopes of having that up and running this weekend to cycle for a few weeks before adding our fish in. I don't know, that's why I came here for help- because I couldn't think of any other way!

Daz 10-16-2007 09:42 AM

What type of Cichlids do you currently posses ?

seo 10-16-2007 09:50 AM

We current have 3 Melanochromis auratus and 6 red zebra cichlids. Just heard back and there are 10-15 cichlids in the new tank, although she doesn't know what they are specifically.

Daz 10-16-2007 09:53 AM

Well you need to find out before you move anything, is there a possibilty there New World Cics ?

seo 10-16-2007 10:37 AM

I suppose there is a possibility of anything in the tank quite frankly- not sure. I get the impression that they're novice fish keepers (like myself!) and they're probably the sort of cichlids that are easy to find at a pet store. Could be dead wrong.

So, what's the deal if they are new world cics with my current set up? Am I just asking for disaster here? I guess I could try to rehome the new cics via craigslist or something if they're not compatible species.

Thanks so much for all of your help- I know this isn't an optimum set up without cycling so any help is greatly appreciated!

Daz 10-16-2007 10:43 AM

If the tank come's full of SA/CA's leave your African's were they are until you make a decsion.

Good luck. :D

GregV 10-16-2007 12:56 PM

talk to you LFS, they may house the cichlids for a period of time for you, i know mine does it for something like 30$ a week, so that may be another option.

the other thing, is keep the filtration in water, and save as much water as possible from the tank before you move it. this well speed up the cycling emensely!

Gump 10-16-2007 05:01 PM

buy one or two big rubbermaids. No need to stress out your other fish, and if you dont know whats in the other tank i for sure wouldn't plan on mixing them.