Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   My Black Skirts are killing all my Corys! :( Help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/my-black-skirts-killing-all-my-88238/)

JordynMurdock 12-17-2011 12:49 PM

My Black Skirts are killing all my Corys! :( Help!
 
I don't know what to do. Last night when I came home, I found my 3rd dead Cory sitting on the bottom with a bloody fin. Got bit by one of my Black Skirts and probably died of stress. Last month, one of the Black Skirts bit and kept biting another Corys tail until it couldn't swim and died :( Before that, one of them bit a Cory near the gills and he died too. Whenever I am in the room, it seems like the Black Skirts mind their own business. I don't know what to do anymore. I am seriously thinking about taking all of the Black Skirts back to the LFS and replacing them with a different species.

zof 12-17-2011 12:55 PM

I don't know much about tetras but I think your right on if you think one fish is bullying/attacking other fish then its time to remove that fish.

JordynMurdock 12-17-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 923689)
I don't know much about tetras but I think your right on if you think one fish is bullying/attacking other fish then its time to remove that fish.

I'm thinking of removing ALL of the Black Skirts because every once and awhile I see them all act kind of nippy. I don't know who the killer is because like I said before, they do it whenever I am out of the room. I guess I will replace the species with a different.

Quantum 12-17-2011 01:29 PM

This is somewhat typical of this species (mentioned in the profile Black Widow Tetra)- not always, but it is known to happen. It has been a long time since I've kept them, but I do remember them being aggressive to some extent, though not as bad as Serpae Tetra or Tiger Barb.

Flame Tetra offer a similar look, but have a slimmer body and red coloration instead of black. I've never had these, but all I've read say they are very peaceful.

JordynMurdock 12-17-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum (Post 923706)
This is somewhat typical of this species (mentioned in the profile Black Widow Tetra)- not always, but it is known to happen. It has been a long time since I've kept them, but I do remember them being aggressive to some extent, though not as bad as Serpae Tetra or Tiger Barb.

Flame Tetra offer a similar look, but have a slimmer body and red coloration instead of black. I've never had these, but all I've read say they are very peaceful.

Thank you! I will look into those! I'm gonna take a trip to the LFS to see if there are replacement options.

sion342 12-22-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordynMurdock (Post 923684)
I don't know what to do. Last night when I came home, I found my 3rd dead Cory sitting on the bottom with a bloody fin. Got bit by one of my Black Skirts and probably died of stress. Last month, one of the Black Skirts bit and kept biting another Corys tail until it couldn't swim and died :( Before that, one of them bit a Cory near the gills and he died too. Whenever I am in the room, it seems like the Black Skirts mind their own business. I don't know what to do anymore. I am seriously thinking about taking all of the Black Skirts back to the LFS and replacing them with a different species.

I got tetras in my 55 gals. Aquarium (5 Black Skirts, 6 Sarpae, 3 Lemons,5 Red Eyes, with 2 Emerald Green Corys and 4 German Blue, plus 2 Chinese Algae Eaters). The only ones that created me troubles are the Algae Eaters .But is true those tetras are fin nippers. Probably the water condition for them are to low or high for them. I'm referring to the KH,Temp. or PH. Even the light could cause that conduct. Little bit of salt may help them. Just saying.:-P
P.S. Fishes like Cory need some hidden places and plants to prevent those kind of attacks.

Byron 12-22-2011 07:49 PM

No mention is made of the tank size, nor of the number of Black Skirt (Black Widow Tetra) in the group. But this species does have a slight inherent tendency to nip fins of some fish, and such tendencies can be intensified if the fish is not in sufficient numbers and/or the tank space is--to the fish--small. Tetra usually need a minimum of six, but species that have nipping tendencies should always be in larger groups. Sometimes this can keep such behaviours in check, or within the group. And the tank size plays into this; scientific studies have now proven that shoaling fish kept in groups under six and/or in too small a tank for the species will show much more aggressive behaviours, even to the point of otherwise peaceful fish becoming somewhat aggressive. And the last poster's comments on water parameters is also true; adverse (to the fish) water conditions can bring out such tendencies.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2