Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Good filter fo a 29 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/good-filter-fo-29-gallon-88126/)

diablo13 12-15-2011 09:02 PM

Good filter fo a 29 gallon?

Hey all, I'm working on my stocking fot my 29 gallon, but I can't seem to find a good filter. It has to be quiet, it's in my room, and it has to be AT LEAST 200 GPH. Peferably 250 GPH. Does anybody know of any good ones, other than sponge filters, please? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

MetalArm3 12-15-2011 11:52 PM

I found myself in the same predicament back in August. My tank is a 27gal cube that Is located in my bedroom. I went through 3 HOB filters that just didn't work (high ammonia readings and loud). So, I took the advice of the community members here and looked a canister filters. I bought the Eheim Ecco 2232 and am very impresssed! Its dead silent and you don't have to clean it but every 5-6months (haven't cleaned mine yet) . While it is a bit pricey, ixts totally worth seeing how I wasted money on 3 HOB. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

MetalArm3

Tracy Bird 12-16-2011 12:39 AM

Aqua Clear 50

200 GPH

Quiet

eBay $32

Keeps my water crystal clear
Posted via Mobile Device

deman3 12-16-2011 02:16 AM

I had 2 Aquaclear 70s on my 55g cichlid tank however both began making a nasty grinding sound and one eventually stopped one night. Since I have replaced both with Fluval C4 HoB filters. They are whisper quiet and the design is much better than the Aquaclear design in my opinion. Amazon has them for around $35 right now.

diablo13 12-16-2011 06:53 AM

So Fluval PF, Aquacleae, and a canister filte......ive been looking at this Magnum HOT HOB Canister Filte, maybe by Matineland, it looks nice. I'll look these up, any more suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

Stoke88 12-16-2011 03:51 PM

I have an Aquaclear Mini on my 10g and it also began to make a nasty grinding noise. Its now loud and annoying but filters great. I second the Fluval on the 29.

diablo13 12-16-2011 04:21 PM

So it seems to be between a Canister or Fluval. Quietness is impottant, it's in my room. what's a good canister to buy?
Posted via Mobile Device

MetalArm3 12-16-2011 06:41 PM

Hands down Eheim! Like I've said, I have my tank in my room and the filter is dead silent. Unless you put your ear against the filter, you would think its off. Unlike HOBs, you buy the suggested gph (not 10x the overturn). My problem with sound is the air pump. There so loud!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

diablo13 12-16-2011 07:28 PM

Is the airpump neccissay? And when you say suggested GPH, is their a difference between Powet Filter GPH and Canister GPH?
Posted via Mobile Device

MetalArm3 12-16-2011 11:16 PM

Air pump mainly because I like it and it adds more oxygen to the water.

When I speak of :

HOBs --- You usually buy an oversized one then what the box says to acheieve a water turnover rate of 7-10 per hour.
( I used a Marineland Penguin 350)

Canisters --- if the box says min. 30gal for aquarium, than that you get.. The 7-10 rule doesn't apply with canisters . It's weird and I don't know why.

I was running the Marineland Penguin 350 but the flow was to strong, too loud, and had high ammonia levels with it. I upgraded to the Eheim Ecco 2232 and it super silent, decent flow, and perfect parameters. (This is in my 27gal cube. )

While it does run around a hundred dollars, plusI bought media ($15) to last 1 1/2 yrs, you save money instead of buying cartridges. There are also cheaper alternatives, but I didn't mind spending the extra $15.

Anymore ?'s just let me know,
MetalArm3
Posted via Mobile Device