Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   I am looking to start a tank up (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/i-am-looking-start-tank-up-87989/)

TurnerD 12-13-2011 10:59 PM

I am looking to start a tank up

Hey I am looking to possibly start a tank up in a year or so and I tried to think of everything I would need. I am wanting to do a deep sand bed with a sump refugium, I probably will not buy all this brand new or top of the line but I was wondering if I missed anything in needed starting bit.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Liquid Master Test Kit - 1

Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer - 1

JBJ Nano-Glo 4-LED Magnetic Refugium Light - 1

Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite (Net) Controller - 1

48 Inch 2x400W Metal Halide + 2x54W T5 HO Hamilton Belize Sun Light Fixture - 1

Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix - 160gal Bucket - 1

Hagen Fluval 200 Watt E-Series Electronic Aquarium Heater - 1

Precision Marine R30 Refugium w/ RL175 Protein Skimmer - 1

Fiji Best Saltwater Aquarium Live Rock - 52 lb Box - 1

Caribsea Ocean Direct Live Sand Original 40 lb - 3

Clear-for-Life Rectangle 75 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium - Regular

onefish2fish 12-14-2011 06:10 AM

Your also going to need alk, cal and mag, i dont think this comes with these. you will also need the proper supplements to dose ( alk, cal and mag ) i suggest a 2 part like b-ionic.
look on ebay for salinity refractometers

these are awesome
2 400w halides is alot for a 75 gallon tank, theyre going to create alot of heat
boxed salt is usually the same price, and comes in 200 gal sizes, regardless find a salt and stick to it
i personally like jager, but 2 heaters is a better idea
a used tank makes a great sump, alot cheaper too, i dont know anything about that skimmer but read reviews and select carefully, you dont want to skimp on a skimmer.

im going to suggest looking into marco rock dry rock and sand, they sell package deals, your going to want more then 40lbs in a 75 if you want a true deep sand bed ( 4-6 inches ) you may also need alittle more rock then 50lbs. getting it dry will be cheaper, but the process is longer.
look into glass-holes overflows, they arnt too expensive and reliable.

your going to also need powerheads, buckets/brute trash can to pre-mix saltwater 24 hours in advance, an extra heater for salt mixing and its wise to have a used tank for a QT

TurnerD 12-14-2011 06:41 AM

Hey man thanks a ton for your response, I don't plan on getting most of this stuff new I figured craigslist would have some deals but I also want some quality, I did get scared at that price but that was all top of the line stuff and cost $5300 on marine depot so I figured used/ maybe a 50 gallon will bee cheaper but still a decent size.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 12-14-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurnerD (Post 920739)
Hey I am looking to possibly start a tank up in a year or so and I tried to think of everything I would need. I am wanting to do a deep sand bed with a sump refugium, I probably will not buy all this brand new or top of the line but I was wondering if I missed anything in needed starting bit.

Looks sound to me. Need powerheads to move water and a digital thermometer. Then go for it!!!

TurnerD 12-14-2011 09:24 AM

Thanks

onefish2fish 12-15-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurnerD (Post 920856)
Hey man thanks a ton for your response, I don't plan on getting most of this stuff new I figured craigslist would have some deals but I also want some quality, I did get scared at that price but that was all top of the line stuff and cost $5300 on marine depot so I figured used/ maybe a 50 gallon will bee cheaper but still a decent size.
Posted via Mobile Device

look into DIY sumps, and try searching your area for a local reefing club. usually you can find great deals there.

TurnerD 12-15-2011 09:32 AM

I am planning on doing a DIY sump and refugium. I also figured i will go a 50 gallon acrylic instead of 75 I just don't want a nano tank because people say they are not for beginners as of course with any aquarium even freshwater bad things happen faster. Anyway there is a reef club right in my town and local area so i will post of forums for any one selling some old equipment.

Reefing Madness 12-15-2011 06:19 PM

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

gmate 12-24-2011 09:54 AM

75g tank I would recommend at LEAST 50lbs of sand (I prefer 1-1 ratio of sand-aquarium gallons, but that depends on shape of aquarium) and live rock you're going to want at least 75-100lbs

TurnerD 12-24-2011 10:00 AM

Gmate, I looked up for a four inch dsb on a typical 55 gallon tank I would need almost 75lb of sand and almost a hundred pounds of rock
Posted via Mobile Device