Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   hows my tank now? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/hows-my-tank-now-87966/)

krish 12-13-2011 06:08 PM

hows my tank now?

i do believe my first thread was about my tank, and a few changes have taken place. I'm replacing my once planned zebra danio school and replacing it with a neon tetra school. Oh by the way I have a 29 gallon tank with 7.0ish pH and my Petsmart dealer person said my hardness was "ok" :| anyways, because I once thought of adding danios, people advised against putting them with gouramis because their active lifestyle might stress out the rather sedate gouramis. Now that I'm changing that, can I add gouramis? So far, my plans for my 29 gal tank will include 8-12 neon tetras, a bushnose catfish, and some gouramis. Thanks everyone! :-D

krish 12-13-2011 06:10 PM

oh I also wanted to add 2 kribs originally, but my LFS dealer told me they get mean when they're big, so I'm looking for something else to add. I kinda want something colorful. Any ideas?

Byron 12-14-2011 12:47 PM

Which species of gourami? The neons will not likely bother gourami, depending upon species, but some gourami will eat neons (I witnessed this in a store taqnk recently). Depends upon the species.

krish 12-14-2011 05:25 PM

I was thinking gold gouramis or dwarf gouramis.

Byron 12-14-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish (Post 921232)
I was thinking gold gouramis or dwarf gouramis.

The gold gourami is just a colour variation of the blue gourami, and that is the one that will eat small fish like neons. They get large, check the profile (click the shaded name). Might nbe trouble.

The dwarf gourami likely wouldn't have that issue, but these gourami are a health risk unless you know from whence they came (a local breeder for example is safer). The honey gourami is a better choice, and in a 29g you could have a trio.

krish 12-15-2011 09:38 AM

ok...so I can have 3 honey gouramis along wih all my other fish? Are there any gender requirements to which i should arrange them? Also, in replacement for the kribs, do you think I could add a few rainbowfish?

Byron 12-15-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish (Post 921775)
ok...so I can have 3 honey gouramis along wih all my other fish? Are there any gender requirements to which i should arrange them? Also, in replacement for the kribs, do you think I could add a few rainbowfish?

On the Honey Gourami, I would get 1 male and 2 females. The profile tells how to sex them, and there is a photo of a pair.

Of the rainbowfish, the Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish might work, though I would tend to go with the smaller Threadfin Rainbowfish. Both are in the profiles.

krish 12-15-2011 05:36 PM

do you think i could put any boeseman's rainbowfish or those bright red ones? (forgot what they're called) :-P

Byron 12-15-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish (Post 922096)
do you think i could put any boeseman's rainbowfish or those bright red ones? (forgot what they're called) :-P

I left Melanotaenia boesemani out because they need more space; check the profile. Not sure of the red...do you mean Glossolepsis incisus? These attain 6 inches.

krish 12-16-2011 09:52 PM

darn... are there any other colorful fish I could get that would coexist with my other fish?