Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   AWD (Aquarium Withdrawl Disease) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/awd-aquarium-withdrawl-disease-87885/)

kangy 12-12-2011 11:15 AM

AWD (Aquarium Withdrawl Disease)

So I travel a lot for work but I've been "grounded" for the last 4 weeks and in that time I renewed my passion for fish keeping by converting my 29g to full low tech planted and restocked it. I've been reading TFK every day and spending lot so time with (and money on) my aquarium, recently the last few days have just been spent enjoying it and really paying attention to the fish behaviors and plant growth. I'm now sitting at the airport reading the forum and missing my aquarium lol.

I'll be gone for 4 days (coming home late Thursday). My wife, who has been very patient during the last few weeks of what she calls "my new obsession", and has actually been showing more interest in the tank than she has since we set it up 3 years ago. Going planted converted her ;) I spent about 40 minutes with her last night explaining and showing her how to properly feed and monitor the fishies/plants, ran her through how to test the water and log the results, and showed her how to use the syringe to dose the ferts (scheduled for tomorrow), She works in a pharamacy and is going to school to be a Physicians Assistant so the water test and dosing was like second nature and helped lock in her interest even more.

So now I'm rambling, does anyone else have withdrawl symptons from their tank when they leave or are unable to view/monitor it for a few days. haha. Can't wait to see the growth when I get back though, it's been awesome seeing it every day, excited to see how it does!

Calmwaters 12-12-2011 11:22 AM

LOL Yeap it official you are an addict. ; ) Have a safe trip and don't worry it will be there when you get back.

Romad 12-12-2011 02:49 PM

Guilty here.

The longest I've been away from my fishy friends is a week and although I had someone feeding them, I was "mildly" anxious until I got back home.

willow 12-14-2011 03:38 AM

i'm sure your tank is in very capable hands,and i'm sure,actually i now your better half knows she could
come here for reassurance should she need it ,and someone would help.
have a safe trip,and don't worry :-D
and yes you have AWD and no there is no cure...sorry. :lol:

thekoimaiden 12-17-2011 02:06 PM

Oh I've got a bad case of it right now. I'm away from my tanks to visit my boyfriend for about a week. I miss waking up and hand-feeding my goldfish and watching my bettas flare at me and seeing my loaches squiggle around.

Ya. I've got AWD bad. I get it every single time I go away for more than a few days.

Mikaila31 12-18-2011 01:44 AM

Yeah you are officially addicted. I visit pet stores when on vacations just to watch the fish and be around tanks.

I have to say you are way into it compared to me lol. I keep some high tech planted tanks, but I so terribly inconsistent in everything I do. I never test anything, though I have the kits, let alone log it. I use to measure and mix up liquid EI fertilizers, but now I just kinda throw them in dry and "guesstimate" when I remember, which is like less then half the time lol.... Kudos to you!

Its not so much my tanks, its just water in general that I am addicted to. When we go some place near the ocean I don't miss my tanks that much cuz there is all that water there. When I was dragged to AZ I found it more terrible then I imagined. I'm from WI and the drive there and back was the most exciting part of the whole trip lol. The rest was me trying to avoid heat stroke.

thekoimaiden 12-18-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 924199)
Yeah you are officially addicted. I visit pet stores when on vacations just to watch the fish and be around tanks.

:omg: Just last night, my boyfriend had to pull me away from the local Petsmart! lol
I've got AWD pretty bad right now. I missed a whole week of testing and had a water changed pushed back a few days. I'm not flipping out (per say) but I am itching to get home and get back into the swing of things. I also miss watching my fish. I'm in it for the fish; that's what I love and miss most. They're like living paintings.

I'm also a little worried since learning that mopani wood can cause problems. I've got a piece of mopani in one of my tanks; it's been there for about a month. :S

willow 12-18-2011 03:34 PM

what problems can the wood cause ?

thekoimaiden 12-18-2011 04:50 PM

Mopani can start to grow a fungus on it. Grapewood is terrible about that, but I've also heard that mopani can grow some fungus. I also have some wood of unknown origin in my tank. I'm a little worried that it could be grapewood. I haven't seen any signs of it yet, but when I'm not there to monitor it, I get anxious.

Mikaila31 12-19-2011 02:44 AM

Am I the only one that hates testing lol? I have a kit and its lucky to get used a dozen times a year lol.

Though I had a real bad experience with grape wood I've never had any issues with any other kind of wood. Mopani and malaysian driftwood I use quite a bit. I also use sticks from the woods. I never boil any of my wood either. Its never caused any problems, except that piece of grape wood which cost me like $100 in the stock it killed. Live an learn don't use grape wood!

I'm always excited to get back from vacation and see if my plants have left any room for the fish.