Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Snails/Shrimp for Community Planted (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snails-shrimp-community-planted-87823/)

kangy 12-11-2011 01:40 PM

Snails/Shrimp for Community Planted

I have a 29g planted with 8 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Black Neon Tetra, 1 Blue Gourami, and 3 Emerald Catfish. I recently found some unidentified hitch hiker snails (they are itty bitty babies) that must of come from the last couple plants I got.

I would love to get some shrimp and/or "proper" snails for the tank. I heard the snails help greatly with the substrate and the shrimp will nibble on the particles clinging to the leaves etc.

The only options I have at any nearby LFS are ghost shrimp, mystery snails, or zebra nerite snails.

What kind of snails and shrimp would do well in that community tank? I was thinking some red cherry shrimp and malaysian trumpet snails. Or should I just go head and grab a dozen ghost shrimp and a couple of mystery snails?

InvertPlanet 12-11-2011 01:49 PM

lets see what you have got and go from there. I don't know about the fish but inverts are at the bottom of the food chain. Your fish just may indulge a bit on the babies.

kangy 12-11-2011 01:53 PM

What is the average growth rate on snails. I noticed them a few days after adding some new plants. I assume they were eggs, they look like dust flakes on the glass, I only noticed them cause one was moving. I've seen two at one time so far. Have not seen them in a couple of days, I'm thinking they are either burrowed in somewhere or got eaten.

InvertPlanet 12-13-2011 01:23 PM

it depends on the snail.. if yours came with the plants, chances are it was ramshorn or pond snails. They can hatch in 4 - 6 weeks or less depending on water conditions.

kangy 12-22-2011 09:44 AM

Alright so I've identified the snails. I have a mix of Ramshorn and Acute Bladder (Pond) Snails. I also picked up 10 ghost shrimp last night (one of them didn't make it to the tank, it jumped out of the tub during the drip acclimatization :-(

InvertPlanet 12-22-2011 12:30 PM

awww... little jumper...

please take a look at the shrimp closely with a magnifying glass. Look at their heads. They can sometimes carry horse hair worms that attach to the brain... ditch those ASAP if they seem to have them. It will look like long thick tube going from the chest to the head (brain).

It is a non fatal parasite, but I doubt you would want it in your tank ;)

kangy 12-22-2011 01:18 PM

Good to know. I'll try to track them down this afternoon. As soon as I put them in yesterday I lost them haha. Only was able to find 3 at any given time. I've got a lot of hiding places for them though. I'm probably going to get some more next time I'm at the pet store. How many do you recommend being a good qty for a 29

kangy 12-23-2011 09:41 AM

Well I am still only able to find 3 at any given time, lol no idea where the other 6 are at. I know they are hard to find but I was scouring that tank like a kid looking in the window of a candy store. One of my driftwood pieces is hollow and the opening faces the back of the tank so I'm hoping a few are hiding in there, dont' think all 6 would be though. I only have a sponge filter so doubt that they got sucked up anywhere. The back of my tank is open from where the old HOB's used to be, but I dont' think they could make it to the surface and jump out (that and I didn't see any shrimp behind the stand). Are these guys just that good at hiding? The only tankmate I think might of given them any trouble is my Blue Gourami, doubt the tetra/rasbora/cory/danio could and/or would get them. hmm...

InvertPlanet 12-23-2011 11:47 AM

well other fish may eat them, but shrimp do like cover... look under any decor. They are quite adept diggers.