Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Is a blood parrot cichlid compatible? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/blood-parrot-cichlid-compatible-87761/)

BadFishDaddy 12-10-2011 05:00 PM

Is a blood parrot cichlid compatible?

Hi everyone,

I just saw the blood parrot cichlid for the first time and fell in love with them. I have read that they are good community fish, but you can't believe everything you read. I was wondering if they would be a good fit in my tank. If so, are they OK alone, or do they prefer to be in groups. My tank info is listed in my signature below.

Thanks,

BFD

PS I have been told that the Serpae Tetras aren't good in this tank, but they have been in the tank for at least 6 months and everyone seems OK.

rrcoolj 12-10-2011 11:51 PM

You could try it but they can be quite nasty. The fact that they are so misshapen means they cannot inflict much damage. You may be able too keep as much as 3 if they get along. Also make sure that pleco isn't a common pleco. They get MASSIVE.

zeido 12-12-2011 04:35 PM

Sand / substrate advice on newly purchased - used 120 gallon tank

This fish is very nice. id like to try it also.

Lee Gordon 12-15-2011 08:59 PM

Read more about the parrot cichlid and you will see they are deformed fish that can't even chew food properly. They have to crush it in their throat (yes, I know cichlids have "teeth" in their throat). In my opinion, these fish should not be produced or sold.

For your question, these are certainly not good community fish, as most cichlids are not, unless you keep a tank of only cichlids.

Lee

BadFishDaddy 12-15-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Gordon (Post 922262)
In my opinion, these fish should not be produced or sold.
Lee

Thanks,

I try to be responsible when purchasing my fish. I didn't realize that they were bread to be deformed...that's quite sad (but they are really cute). I guess I won't be getting one.

Thanks again,

Jayy 12-15-2011 09:26 PM

Have you ever thought about dwarf cichlids? They quite small about 2-4 in and are very peaceful. Kribs,dwarf cockatoo cichlids, boilivan rams,etc. These are all very peaceful and you learn more about them in the tropical fish profile tab in the second right corner.

Lee Gordon 12-15-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadFishDaddy (Post 922266)
Thanks,

I try to be responsible when purchasing my fish. I didn't realize that they were bread to be deformed...that's quite sad (but they are really cute). I guess I won't be getting one.

Thanks again,

Good to hear. I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm a firm believer in doing your research before taking in any "pet". Good for you.