Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plants I cant kill.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-i-cant-kill-8769/)

LeopardCent 10-12-2007 08:28 PM

Plants I cant kill....

Im looking for a few plants that are aesthetically pleasing and hard to kill. I recently saw on plantgeeks.com that my Brazilian Swords are non-aquatic plants. Which in hindsight explains why i couldnt get them to grow at all, but i have a dwarf lily and a little plant that i bought when i first got my tank (cant remember the name but apparently it tastes good to the fish) and they are doing fine but every cut plant i put in is immediatly uprooted by my cory and never has a chance to root. In a nutshell i need a tough, nice looking plant with a root ball so it wont get well...uprooted. Is there a match.com for aquarium plants?

mgamer20o0 10-12-2007 08:39 PM

Anubias java moss maybe java fern crypt

what size of tank? what kind of light and how much?

LeopardCent 10-12-2007 08:48 PM

I thought you could see that info but my computer skills are right on par with my fishkeeping skills. Here it is.....

ZooTycoonMaster 10-12-2007 09:28 PM

Assorted Anubias, Java Moss/Fern, and some types of Crypts.

jr.masterbreeder 10-13-2007 01:27 PM

Uhhhhh you'd have a hard time killing hornwort. ;)

MegK 10-13-2007 02:08 PM

i have a hard time keeping plants alive too.

and ive killed hornwort... not too pretty

GregV 10-13-2007 09:03 PM

Im killing java fern, vallisnarias and crypt as we speak :(

*warning off topic

jr masterbreeder, i had a great laugh from your sig.

jcarter 10-15-2007 07:03 AM

cabomba does good in high intensity light. i don't even plant it. i leave the weights on it from the LFS, put it in a low flow area, and just let it spread. java moss is another great option. i've heard it starts slow and then just explodes overnight.

fish_4_all 10-15-2007 08:18 PM

www.aquariumplants.com
www.floridadriftwood.com
www.azgardens.com
www.aquabid.com
www.ebay.com

crystalclear83 10-15-2007 11:38 PM

Yea but when hornwort does die, which it will after a period of neglect, it will leave hundreds or thousands of little needles all over your tank that will decompose and cause water problems, also they love to get clogged in the filter! Or at least that's my experience with them.
java fern is great stuff you may not be able to get it to flourish under bad conditions but the "root ball" will stay intact and can regenerate the leaves when you apply good light and some plant supplements! ~ my experience also.same with the moss, but not a root ball, it's cool anyhow. It does explode overnight with good conditions, I have way more than I know what to do with.