Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Discus eating problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/discus-eating-problem-8766/)

Discusgirl18 10-12-2007 05:17 PM

Discus eating problem

I have two discus about 3 inches plus. They used to eat alot and be doing just fine. Then all the sudden they just stay by each other and dont even touch the food. I have them in a 30 gallon tank with graumies and guppies. Any reason why all the sudden they wont eat?

beetlebz 10-12-2007 05:51 PM

have you checked your water parameters? what kind of gouramis and how big are they?

im thinking perhaps either poor water quality or being bullied/intimidated by their tankmates could be causing some stress. I always understood discus to need their own species tank to avoid the stress of being with other fish.

Discusgirl18 10-12-2007 08:16 PM

Well I had the water checked and its perfect and the other fish are about 2 inches long but they used to all eat together anyway. But maybe they are tired of being with others.

Lupin 10-12-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discusgirl18
Well I had the water checked and its perfect and the other fish are about 2 inches long but they used to all eat together anyway. But maybe they are tired of being with others.

Welcome to Fishforum.com, Discusgirl18.:wave:

What exactly are the water parameters? We need to know so we can help further. How does their poo look? What foods have you been feeding and what is your feeding regimen?

Discusgirl18 10-12-2007 09:14 PM

There poop comes out white. I feed them bloodworms but they really only like to eat the formula 1 flakes. I keep the water at 86. I test my water cuz I work at the pet store and it looked great. The ph was 6.8, 0 amonnia, 0 chlorine, the nitrates were a little high but I change 10 percent of the water and its better now, nitrite was 0, and the hardness was 0.

Lupin 10-12-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

There poop comes out white. I feed them bloodworms but they really only like to eat the formula 1 flakes. I keep the water at 86. I test my water cuz I work at the pet store and it looked great. The ph was 6.8, 0 amonnia, 0 chlorine, the nitrates were a little high but I change 10 percent of the water and its better now, nitrite was 0, and the hardness was 0.

How many times do you feed them bloodworms? Feed them only from time to time, not too often. Bloodworms are not often digested properly and can cause digestive upsets.

Use Metronidazole to stimulate appetite and treat against possible intestinal flagellates. Discus should be dewormed at least monthly.

Discusgirl18 10-12-2007 09:45 PM

1 time a week but they never really eat them. I need to deworm them again its been 4 months or so.

Discusgirl18 10-13-2007 01:24 PM

Is there any other types of medication I can use. I prefer tablets and were can i get it?

Lupin 10-14-2007 12:56 AM

Quote:

Is there any other types of medication I can use. I prefer tablets and were can i get it?

Use Flagyl which is a combo of Metronidazole and Praziquantel. Praziquantel can help eliminate possible tapeworms.

Discusgirl18 10-15-2007 05:08 PM

Is PRAZIPRO good? I also have good news one discus has started to eat again but the other wont yet.