Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Has anyone been able to keep plants in a Fluval Edge? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/has-anyone-been-able-keep-plants-87653/)

La Reina 12-09-2011 12:19 PM

Has anyone been able to keep plants in a Fluval Edge?

I have a 6 gallon fluval edge that is currently home to my betta, and I was hoping that I would be able to plant it. It has been up and running for about a year now, and has the halogen lights that came with it and gravel substrate. Has anyone had any luck with planting this aquarium?

Byron 12-09-2011 12:38 PM

I've not had one of these, or anything smaller than a 10g, but to offer some plant suggestions: pygmy chain sword would probably thrive in this. And a floating plant, Water Sprite is usually my suggestion but it might overpower a small space, so here Brazilian Pennywort floating would fit that and be controllable. Crypts, perhaps the red/brown species (a couple are in our profiles) would also work mixed with the pale green of the chain sword. For a darker green (thinking contrast again), one dwarf sword. None of these are high light so they should be fine.

Byron.

lorax84 12-09-2011 12:45 PM

Someone on here did a review of the edge about a year ago that was focused on keeping plants in an edge, you can probably find it in the product reviews forum. I believe the main problem with planting it was that plants not directly under the light did not grow well.

Mikaila31 12-09-2011 09:05 PM

Yeah the thing with the edge is it has halogen bulbs.

La Reina 12-09-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 916973)
Yeah the thing with the edge is it has halogen bulbs.

Please explain further.

Mikaila31 12-10-2011 02:21 AM

lol sorry. I play mostly with florescent lights so I don't know much about halogen bulbs except that my desk lamp uses them. Its a type of incandescent bulb. They have a higher color temp then the normal old fashion incandescents, what exactly I'm not sure. I'm not sure how they compare as far as plant growth goes. But I know you can buy LED bulbs with the same base pins that can be swapped directly for the halogen bulbs. I think they are MR16 bulbs or something but it should say somewhere on your hood. I would suggest googling about the efficiency of using halogens for plant growth. Then if you decide you don't like the halogen bulbs google 'fuval edge LED mod'. Read a couple different threads as its a really common mod. LED mods can vary a lot since quality of LEDs can vary just as much. In general you want to use large LEDs I would assume 3 watt LEDs or larger, but they cost more. If your just going with low to medium light plants research what others have had success with and go with that. I only know this because it seem to be an all to common mod on plant forums. I would assume the halogens are not well suited for plants, but I may be wrong.