Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Nice to meet you all! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/nice-meet-you-all-87582/)

Eddie1KRR 12-08-2011 01:25 AM

Nice to meet you all!

Hi everyone.

I'm brand new here...but been stalking the site for a few months trying to learn the cycle thing after learning a few things the hard way :question:

I doubt I'm close to knowing 10% yet, but I am paying attention :)

(all below is freshwater)

I started with a 3.5 gal. desktop glofish tank, which is now my hospital tank. I lost a bunch of fish on start up not knowing about...anything lol. So I started reading, and since established a lil 6 gallon healthy fruval edge tank I've had for a few months. Then, of course, I got the bug, and wanted a bigger tank.

So as of now, I'm trying to do a fishless cycle on a 36 gallon bow front tank. So far...I don't know how it's going lol. It's my first time adding ammonia and actually checking nitrites. All I was checking after the first batch loss, was ammonia. The tank has been running a couple weeks now, but I only started adding ammonia a few days ago.

I'm just hoping to not spoil the tank in the process :) Nitrites are still 0 despite me adding everything I can spare from my established tanks that are now doing great. Hopefully soon it will be ready!

Thanks for all the great info everyone and look forward to talking to you all more.

Romad 12-08-2011 03:35 AM

Hello and welcome to TFK :wave:

What are your thoughts for types of fish in the new tank? You could start with a few hardy fish to help you cycle. Are you going to add any live plants?

Oh and it sounds like you're already suffering from MTS (multiple tank syndrome) - LOL.

Eddie1KRR 12-08-2011 01:48 PM

I'm not really sure yet what I want to add fish wise yet. I guess I'll start off with a few Danio to give it a test run. I know once it's safe, The first ones I want to add after that are guppies. They caught my eye at the store when I was looking for fish for my Fruval because they were so active and fun. They really keep my little tank animated :)

I really don't think I'm going to do live plants for a while. If I do, I would want to pick stuff that stay nice and green with little upkeep I guess (if there are such a thing lol)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

SeaHorse 12-08-2011 06:54 PM

Welcome Eddie from Ontario :wave:

fish joey 12-09-2011 07:02 PM

welcome to TFK :-D do not be afraid of plants they actually make life easier and fishes love them!

Eddie1KRR 12-09-2011 11:43 PM

I may try them soon. I need to do my homework a little bit I think first.
I seem to have the big tank on the run and ready for fish soon! Nitrites are up, so I'm cutting back on the ammonia now and just waiting for everything to level out. Hopefully not much longer!

Thankfully I have my little tank to keep me occupied or I'd be going stir crazy :greenyay:

Byron 12-11-2011 06:59 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Glad to have you with us.

Byron.

Eddie1KRR 12-15-2011 01:33 AM

Thanks Byron :)

I think I finally got this 36 gallon on the run. Nitrites are off the chart and Nitrates are in the 60ish range best I can tell. Fingers crossed I can add fish soon!

Eddie1KRR 12-24-2011 12:20 AM

OK, so after a fishless cycle (using planted bio and ammonia), the 36 gallon tank finished cycling about 10 days ago best I can tell. I spiked it up first, then waited for nitrites, then nitrates, and nitrite and ammonia eventually fell back to zero. I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to happen it was so far off the charts, but it did. I did the big water change, then fed the empty tank food only for a few days while I gathered my courage to put live fish in it lol.

I bought 4 Bloodfin Tetras, and was scared to put them in there, so I kept them in a maintained hospital tank (always fed by fish food) for almost 3 days before I moved them over. It's been a few days now, and they seem to be doing great. No one is hanging out at the top, or not eating or anything weird, so I think I'm good for now that way. I managed to get a piece of well soaked driftwood in there already too, with no ill effects that I can detect. (water looks good, and ph seems good)

Someone had asked me up there if I was thinking of planting the tank, and I said I was nervous about that lol. But the more I look, I can't see how I can really get it how I want it to look unplanted. I would like to add shrimp in the near future etc, And I don't see how I can do what I want with the substrate I have. (your basic black rock)

So, now, I am looking at replacing that...In a seemingly young established tank. Am I going to make a giant mess? Pulling the fish out is not the end of the word, if I can catch them that is lol. But I would really hate to start a cycle or mini cycle by doing this. I haven't touched the filter, so at least I have that (fruval 304)

Should I do it one half at a time left then right or something like that?
I just don't want to add the stock I intend to add, knowing now, this is the way I will end up going in the near future. I wish I had the foresight to just use this stuff in the first place, but I did'nt...That or the knowledge. I guess we learn something new every day like it or not lol.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

Eddie

SeaHorse 12-24-2011 08:05 AM

Hi Eddie. Welcome to the world of learning as we go...! If it were me... and I have not yet made this step to change the gravel in mine... I also want to go plants but still have the old gravel. So If you decide to change it, I would:
Do it fast but do only that. meaning. Water is water so if you are using de-chlorinator and you should be, then you don't need to keep that. put it aside in a clean bucket/tub if you feel you need it. Leave the filter intact!!!!!! make no changes to it for 2-3 weeks even after this whole process. You will need it's support to help maintain the good bacteria you have lost that would have been in the original gravel. I would syphon out half the water, catch the fish, it's easier in less water, put them into a bucket with an air stone or another tank. Pull all the orniments, gravel, scoop out and rinse off all the old gravel to store it for the next tank. YOU WILL USE IT AGAIN. LOL.
Follow the directions for the new substrate... rinse, no rinse, that part I don't know. Add some de-chlor water, plant your plants, add your decor and fill er up to the top. Your filter is still intact and turn it back on. Put your fish back in.... match your water temperatures just like when you brought them home.
If you do this quickly, ie one day, you should be fine.
The down side for me to doing it in bits, is having to use a scoop and pull up old gravel that is heavy in gunk. Even with gravel cleaning it is still full of gunk. So you are trying to work around fish swimming and breathing in all that gunk.
I hope to hear more member's ideas on how to do this.... it's a big job for sure. good luck