Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   crayfish carrying eggs - help! what to do (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/crayfish-carrying-eggs-help-what-do-8757/)

vinoth1465 10-12-2007 08:01 AM

crayfish carrying eggs - help! what to do
 
i am housing 5 tiger barbs and 2 crayfish in a 20 gallon tank... the tank has a few fake plants (learned it the hard way...) i had planted some anubias when i got the crayfish a few months ago... overnight they had chewed up all the leaves.

every morning, when i go to feed them, i hadn't seen one of the crayfish for a few days... (lot of hiding spots)

so i snooped around for the other crayfish and it turned out to be a she, with black color eggs underneath it...

at this point, what should i do... leave her as is, quarantine her... advise please.

Lupin 10-12-2007 06:12 PM

Re: crayfish carrying eggs - help! what to do
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinoth1465
i am housing 5 tiger barbs and 2 crayfish in a 20 gallon tank... the tank has a few fake plants (learned it the hard way...) i had planted some anubias when i got the crayfish a few months ago... overnight they had chewed up all the leaves.

every morning, when i go to feed them, i hadn't seen one of the crayfish for a few days... (lot of hiding spots)

so i snooped around for the other crayfish and it turned out to be a she, with black color eggs underneath it...

at this point, what should i do... leave her as is, quarantine her... advise please.

The term 'quarantine' should not be used in this situation.;) As the terminology refers to isolating for possible diseases which in your case is not, it will be considered rather erroneous to use it.8)

The main question is can you accommodate for any more incoming crayfish? Unless you can, leave it to release its babies in the community but do not expect a lot of fry to survive the barbs.
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/..._Crayfish.html

A few suggestions:
1. Do not keep plants altogether with crayfish. Crayfish are notorious for being destructive to plants regardless of the species.
2. Fish and crayfish do not mix. Either the fish eats the crayfish in the case of large monsters or the crayfish themselves eventually attack the fish regardless of size.

vinoth1465 10-12-2007 07:34 PM

thanks lupin. i didnt mean to use the word 'quarantine' as general everyday terminology as we use...

so, to expect good sucess, i have to have her in a good seperate tank... i have a friend who works in the LFS and said that "if" by chance, i have any sucess with the eggs, he would be happy to take it...

not that, i am not trying to make any $, its just that i dont want to stress a happy mother or loose her little ones to my greedy tiger barbs.

Lupin 10-12-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinoth1465
thanks lupin. i didnt mean to use the word 'quarantine' as general everyday terminology as we use...

LOL..It will still be defined as 'isolate' in a way anyway.:lol:
Quote:

so, to expect good sucess, i have to have her in a good seperate tank... i have a friend who works in the LFS and said that "if" by chance, i have any sucess with the eggs, he would be happy to take it...

not that, i am not trying to make any $, its just that i dont want to stress a happy mother or loose her little ones to my greedy tiger barbs.
Good luck with the mission.:thumbsup: Keep us updated.8)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2