Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Why is this happening? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/why-happening-8748/)

nofinga911 10-11-2007 07:24 PM

Why is this happening?

I recently purchased an aquarium decoration which is a model of a crocodile head. Lately no matter how many times I change the water, it still gets cloudy and yellowish, and the bottom of the tank is immaculate all the time. I couldn't figure out why this was happening so after trying all different things I decided to remove the crocodile head and see if the water cleared up and guess what, it did! I love the crocodile head and really want to put it back in, why is it doing this? and how can I fix it?? Thanks guys

Lupin 10-11-2007 07:43 PM

What material is it?:?

GregV 10-11-2007 08:22 PM

maybe try letting the head soak for a while, though i wouldnt trust it, is it aquarium safe?

nofinga911 10-12-2007 12:37 PM

Yes it is aquarium safe, I got it from Dr. Foster and Smith. I am not sure of the material, but it says some kind of resin...

JouteiMike 10-12-2007 02:19 PM

If it's polyester resin, then it's fine.

I would place it in a separate container of water to see if the water changes and if it is indeed the culprit.

nofinga911 10-13-2007 01:06 PM

ok this is ridiculous! I took the crocodile head out and did a full water change. The water was clear and by the next morning it was completely cloudy and yellowish. Why is this happening???

beetlebz 10-13-2007 01:33 PM

algea bloom? is the tank in direct sunlight? how often do you feed, and how long do you leave the tank lights on for?

nofinga911 10-13-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz
algea bloom? is the tank in direct sunlight? how often do you feed, and how long do you leave the tank lights on for?

no the tank is not in direct sunlight but i do have four 150watt lights on the tank (basking lamps). This has never happened before though and I have always had 4 lights. I leave the lights on about 3/4 of the day then they shut off the remaining time by timer. I dont overfeed. Hmm

beetlebz 10-13-2007 03:08 PM

how big is the tank?

my knee-jerk reaction is thats ALOT of light for one tank, and i had alot of bacteria and algae problems until i started leaving my lights on for 10-12 hours max.

JouteiMike 10-13-2007 06:37 PM

So you removed the croc head and the water is still cloudy and yellow? So it seems like it wasn't the ornament after all.

What do you mean you performed a "full" water change. Hope you didn't take out all the water and replace it with new water.

Has your tank cycled?

What are your water parameters?