Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   75g High Tech Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/75g-high-tech-help-87467/)

trit0n2003 12-05-2011 10:33 PM

75g High Tech Help

Here is the setup and numbers for everything I could think of pertaining to this subject

Tank size = 75g
gh = 143.2 ppm (8 drops with API test kit)
kh = 7
CO2 = 1 bubble / 1.5 sec
pH = 7.2
nitrate = 15ppm
lighting = 2x 54watt T5 HO
1 x 10k
1 x 5k
photoperiod = 8 hours
Fertz = 15ml/day of aquarium fertilizers micro/macro mix (contains 1 part each of Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Plantex CSM+B.)
Water Changes = 2x 25% week due to my discus

Temp = 82-84 degrees during extremes of day but usually around 83
EXT5000 reactor
Canister filter + powerhead + airstone at night

Plants = amazon sword, melon sword, saggitaria, leopard vals, multiple species of crypts, and anubias nana.

SO here is the dilemma..
-I'm not seeing any pearling (except on algae close to the lights lol stupid!)
-not getting fast growth
-I am getting the bright green algae on the glass and hair algae on other plants

I moved from my old place that had extremely soft water to this place with MUCH harder water, things were growing well at the previous place i lived but ever since the move (nov 1st), I've been having a major issue with getting things balanced again.

Please let me know what you would suggest! Thanks again everyone!

Nubster 12-05-2011 10:38 PM

I was getting crazy pearling in my tank but I had an extremely high bubble rate. I didn't realize it was that high. I ended up gassing my shrimp and at one point some of my fish were gasping at the surface but the plants loved it. I turned it down so now I am at about 4-5 bps. No more pearling :( but the fish are in much better shape and hopefully future inverts will be happy too. Not sure how the plant growth will be. Some of my stuff is still growing like crazy but I also have green spot on the glass and some hair algae on some plants. I reduced my iron dosing and that seems to help with the hair algae. My photo period is about 7 hours right now. I may even remove one of my lights and see if that helps. Currently I have two 54w T5HO fixtures.

trit0n2003 12-07-2011 10:33 AM

thanks for the reply!

I have concluded that I needed to increase my CO2 levels at least, so i did that yesterday and dropped the pH to about 6.7 from the 7.2 it was. Its about 2BPS of CO2. Ill hopefully see much less algae growth and I can start fine tuning more from here.

Nubster 12-07-2011 11:08 AM

Yeah...I was dosing additional iron along with my CSM+B. I stopped doing that and the hair algae is less now. Still have the green stuff on the glass, not as bad, and the staghorn is dying as well. I am running more than 2 bps though. I'd like to reduce the CO2 more without causing problems. I did have it WAY too high. Guess it's all part of the learning curve..lol