Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   HELP! DIY Splash Guard for 55 gallon two hoods! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/help-diy-splash-guard-55-gallon-87323/)

Trofishlore 12-03-2011 10:21 PM

HELP! DIY Splash Guard for 55 gallon two hoods!

Hey there!
I'm a bit new to this so please help me if you can.
I was wondering if anyone new how to make any splash guards for lights.
my hood on my fifty five has two lamps that are 18" and pretty sure the hood for each lamp is around 22".
If anyone knows a way on how to make my own splash guard so water doesn't get into the fixtures then it would be great!
Thanks!:smile:

bearwithfish 12-04-2011 07:01 AM

we it me i would call a local glass shop and ask them if they could cut you some pieces for this.... last time i needed a few pieces for a costum cover it cost around $15... some places are less... or even better find an old window or fish tank and take the glass to a hardware store they often cut for free :)

brokenrules69 12-09-2011 10:48 PM

arylic is cheaper homedeopt and lowes has it and will cut it

SinCrisis 12-11-2011 09:09 PM

Acrylic will be way cheaper. it will also be cheaper to replace if you get hard water stains on it and stuff later on dues to splashing water.

brokenrules69 12-13-2011 11:15 AM

i have seen people use the tinted blue acrylic

SinCrisis 12-18-2011 08:57 PM

I would avoid tinted acrylic, the tint will absorb some of the light spectrum.

CinBos 02-29-2012 11:09 PM

When dealing with acrylic, how would configure the light fixture? Ive heard glass is better for a light fixture to sit on, but what about acrylic?
Posted via Mobile Device

CinBos 02-29-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinBos (Post 998833)
When dealing with acrylic, how would configure the light fixture? Ive heard glass is better for a light fixture to sit on, but what about acrylic?
Posted via Mobile Device

Or even plexi glass?
Posted via Mobile Device

Trofishlore 03-01-2012 12:05 AM

DIY Splash Guard for Lighting on 55 Gallon hoods

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinBos (Post 998868)
Or even plexi glass?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinBos (Post 998868)
Posted via Mobile Device

Well the fixture really isn't sitting on the acrylic or glass since it's connected to the two plugs on end. It's just an inch or half inch above the fixture. There's a small two or three centimeter rail installed inside on my hood that allows me to put in a glass or acrylic top on to prevent water or any fishing flying out of the tank. Right now I don't think it really matters. I'm gonna go to my local hardware store and buy a sheet of acrylic 18" x 24" and get it cut to size, so around 18.5" x 3" to hand on the rails guarding the fixture. I'll just wait and see.
Thanks for the posts. :lol:

Mikaila31 03-01-2012 09:50 AM

acrylic and plexiglass always warp when ever I try to use them.
Posted via Mobile Device