Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Heeelp!!!!! D: D: D: D: (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/heeelp-d-d-d-d-87277/)

Irish Dancing Man 12-03-2011 11:44 AM

Heeelp!!!!! D: D: D: D:

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, I was feeding this morning and I noticed two big ulcers on my dwarf Gourami. There is one on either side. They are pretty large and they are OPEN. One of them is extremely close to his Gills/opercilum. The other one is in the middle upper side.
He lives in a 39 gallon tank
Filter is Penguin Bio-wheel 200
Temperature is 77
He shares his home with:
2 inch plecostamus
4 angel fish (2 different species of angels. 2 of each species)
2 adult sword tails
about 5 tiny baby sword tails.
Ammonia is .02-.05 I am doing a 5o% to 75% water change TODAY

He is still active and eating.

Romad 12-03-2011 11:50 AM

could they be wounds? any sharp ornaments in the tank that he could have scraped himself on? i'd put him in a hospital tank and keep the water super clean.

i've had really good results with Melafix to ward off secondary infection. I used a very small amount daily doing at least 50% water changes (also daily).

good luck and keep us posted.

Irish Dancing Man 12-03-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 910921)
could they be wounds? any sharp ornaments in the tank that he could have scraped himself on? i'd put him in a hospital tank and keep the water super clean.

i've had really good results with Melafix to ward off secondary infection. I used a very small amount daily doing at least 50% water changes (also daily).

good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks! The biggest tank i can put him in is a 3 gallon with an air stone and heater. Would that be too small? and he couldnt have cut himself on something. They are both perfectly circular and VERY deep.

And I'll get that Melafix.

Is the 3 Gallon too small for him?

redchigh 12-03-2011 12:24 PM

Looks like they could be pleco wounds... (sometimes pleco will attack themselves to the sides of slow-moving fish)

Irish Dancing Man 12-03-2011 12:35 PM

IDT its Pleco wounds. This isnt a slow fish, and if ANYTHING gets near him he takes off.

Irish Dancing Man 12-04-2011 01:51 PM

Ok I found out what these ulcers are from. :S its HORRIBLE

The other fish are EATING HIM ALIVE!!!

I had just finished setting up a 10 gallon hospital tank and walked into the room and the smaller sword tails were nipping at his ulcers and TAKING OUT PIECES OF FLESH!!

I have him in the hospital tank now, but thats just disgusting, and in the past year with this tank there have been no problems with aggression so IDK whats happening.

Ogre44 12-04-2011 02:32 PM

I would guess that the swords are merely taking advantage of the existing wounds, I don't know that the swords are big enough to cause that kind of damage without something else creating an opportunity.

Irish Dancing Man 12-04-2011 02:38 PM

Yes, I've actually thought about that..... but I still question ever putting him back in there if he ever heals.