Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Best canister filter for 20g long? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/best-canister-filter-20g-long-87274/)

mjbn 12-03-2011 09:58 AM

Best canister filter for 20g long?

Hey guys,
I'm currently running an Aqueon Quiteflow 10 and an Aquaclear 150 on my 20g long tank with some tetras, bettas, kuhli's and a guppy. The tank has been running for a little under a year now without a problem, but I've been looking for a canister filter to help with the cleaning a little more. Along with that, I want a quieter filter, as i can hear the buzzing and splashing of the filters, especially since it's in my room. In terms of filter choices, I'm looking at:
Eheim Filter 2213 - Plus Kit - $70

Marineland H.O.T. Magnum - 250 G.P.H. - $52

Eheim Classic 2211 Filter - 60 gph - $60

Marineland PC-ml160 Multi-stage Canister Filter- Up to 30-Gallon, 160GPH - $78

Fluval 104 - Can't find online.

Fluval 105 - $80

this is what i came up with 5 minutes of research. I'm still searching, but input/opinions would be great. Price IS a problem. I'd like to spend no more than $70, but $80 is a possibility. I did find a fluval 105 for $80 on amazon though. If you find a link where any of these are cheaper, please tell me! Please help!

Thank you!

mjbn 12-03-2011 12:37 PM

Has anyone ever tried a Sunsun 302 canister filter? I've read a thread online saying that it was a pretty decent one, and pretty cheaply priced.

Quantum 12-03-2011 03:05 PM

I have a Fluval 105 on a 20 gal tall and I think it is really too much current for tetras and other fish you mention (I have tetras and rasboras). I had to make a spray bar to diffuse the output, which has helped, but it is still a bit much. The other filters you mentioned would be even more. The 2211 would probably be the best choice as it has the lowest gph and comes with a spray bar (I think).

Another choice would be an internal filter, the Fluval U2 looks pretty good, quiet and reletively inexpensive.

mjbn 12-03-2011 03:39 PM

I'm kinda leaning towards the Sunsun 302, since it comes with a spray bar included and it's the cheapest one out of the lot, but still has great reviews.

And if the flow is too strong on the output, even with a spray bar, are there any other alternative ways to slow the output?

Quantum 12-03-2011 03:59 PM

Looks like that Sunsun (not familar with the brand, but did a quick search) is rated up to 100 gal tank. One trick is to direct the flow from the spraybar directly toward the glass it is attached to rather than into the open space of the aquarium. But I'm not sure there is anything you could do to diminish that kind of output to the point where it would be good for your fish. Trying to restrict the flow in any way (other than what the manufacturer recommends, if its possible at all) will burn up the motor.

If the price is similar, I would go with the Eheim (even if it is a little more). Its a better size and they have a very good reputation as far as quality is concerned.