Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Setting up a new 55. Stocking suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/setting-up-new-55-stocking-suggestions-87133/)

SmokeNLark 12-01-2011 12:19 PM

Setting up a new 55. Stocking suggestions?

So, basically, my mom's friend has a common pleco in a 20 gallon tank right now. She's had him for about 7 years and he is way too big for the tank. She feels bad and wants me to take him. So, she's getting me a 55 gallon for him. This is extremely nice I must say, and I'm glad she cares about this fish enough to do something about it. My dad is just about done building me a stand and I'm getting the tank saturday. Once it is cycled, I'm taking the pleco.

Eventually, I would like to get more fish. I know plecos have big bioloads. This guy has also eaten small fish she's tried to add with him. I think part of it is the small space he has. But, to be safe, I want something a bit bigger. I was thinking scalare angels. Could I fit 4-5 in with him? What would be my water change with that? I'm getting a 60 gallon filter, and eventually will probably get a second one.

Any other suggestions? I want to plant it eventually.

fish4ever 12-04-2011 04:29 PM

First you have to cycle the aquarium for about a week. When it is done cycling check your water parameters. If they are good than add the pleco. With a pleco there are many possibilities on what to add with it.

jeaninel 12-04-2011 10:56 PM

In a 55 gallon you could certainly do 4-5 angels with the pleco. Weekly water changes of 30-50% would suffice. The angels would appreciate a planted tank but the pleco may tear up some of the plants simply with his bulk (like a bull in a china shop). Anubias and Java Fern which could be tied to driftwood and heavy rooting plants such as swords may work though.

Nubster 12-04-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish4ever (Post 912205)
First you have to cycle the aquarium for about a week. When it is done cycling check your water parameters. If they are good than add the pleco. With a pleco there are many possibilities on what to add with it.

Unless you are starting with media from a cycled tank or planting the tank heavily before adding fish, it takes much longer than a week to cycle a tank. More like 6-8 weeks. Possibly less but be prepared for a long process.

1077 12-04-2011 11:35 PM

In your signature, there is mention of 29 gal planted tank? Or the 20 gal tank that you mention pleco is now in?
I might maybe borrow some filter media and or substrate from one of these two tank's when I
set up the 55 gal.This would speed up the maturing, or (cycling) process a fair bit.
Would look for Aquaclear 70,Emperor 400, or canister filter to run in addition to the filter rated fro 60 gal considering the fishes mentioned,
(Angelfish,Pleco).

SmokeNLark 12-05-2011 08:38 PM

Thanks. :) I'm finally setting up the tank this weekend (my dad is just about done with the stand). And I've ordered some nice driftwood for it. I appreciate the feedback for the angels and water changes. I'm thinking of looking into the canister filters. I've never had one, but a lot of people seem to like them. As for plants, I'm really putting some though into them. I have about 10 species in my 29, and I like them, but I want to stick to about 5 for this 55. I love java fern, and everything that attaches to driftwood.

And I've got 3 cycled tanks currently (and cycled one for my dad). I've got the process down. :p And I used media from my 10 to cycle my 5 and 29.