Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help stocking my tank 30 G (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-stocking-my-tank-30-g-8712/)

LynnJ 10-09-2007 06:48 PM

Help stocking my tank 30 G

I am in my final stage of cycling my tank. I know it will probably take one more week or so but now the funny party beginning. I have looked around from other people’s signature and from different photo I have come out with some fish I like but still need help and advise.

1. My tank is 36”X 12”X16” 30 gallon long

2. Filter running right now is canister Rena XP1 and I have Aquaclear 200 but I haven’t set this up but if advised to do that I will put this up in no time.

3. Heaters 2 X 100 Watts

4. Gravel is standard 0.5mm –2.5mm substrate

5. My tap water PH is 7.0

6. I don’t have the glass cover top for now and I am planning to get lights that have mounted legs.

7. Right now I have two 60 watts clip table light (but is a temporary thing)

8. I have plant two weeks ago Java fern, Java moss, Amazon sword and cabomba and they are doing very well.

The types of fish I have seen and like so far but I need more opinion on compatibility and how many will fit my tank. I prefer few fish only that are not community type.

Catfish - (Oto, Upside – down, Panda, Emerald
Loaches – (Kuhli ), striata, Daria, Lohachata, skunk
Pleco - Clown, Candy stripe, bristlenose

Maybe later I will put like two amino and two Red Cherry Shrimps. I don’t know how and what is good when keeping with the other so anyone can help me to choose btn those to mix and match for top and bottom dwellers

Lupin 10-09-2007 07:12 PM

Re: Help stocking my tank 30 G

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnJ
Catfish - (Oto, Upside – down, Panda, Emerald

Otos are known to be quite delicate so unless you are prepared for a few losses, then it's up to you. Are you talking about Synodontis nigriventris when you say 'upside-down'? They're nice addition.http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...6/thumbsup.gif

Panda cories have a reputation for being difficult to keep or so others say but I never find them difficult at all. They are best kept with fish that are not too boisterous. Tetras are perfect tankmates for them.

For emeralds, I think you're referring to Bronchis splendens which are not corydoras but bronchis although closely-related. They're nice additions as wellhttp://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...6/thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Loaches – (Kuhli ), striata, Daria, Lohachata, skunk
For a peaceful loach tank, stick with the first 4.

Kuhli loaches, striata and dario-Can be mixed with corydoras.
Lohachata-Just for future reference, they are now called Botia almorhae. Refer to the 'Fish Profiles' which has plenty of information about them. As they are quite boisterous, they are best kept with other botiine loaches, danios and barbs.

Skunks-These are mean devils and are not for community tanks. They are best kept with other aggressive loaches such as Yasuhikotakia modesta and loaches of Syncrossus genus.

Quote:

Pleco - Clown, Candy stripe, bristlenose
I'm not a pleco fan. I can speak for BN which I have experience with. They're peaceful but some may be terribly aggressive. Provide plenty of hiding places.
Quote:

Maybe later I will put like two amino and two Red Cherry Shrimps. I don’t know how and what is good when keeping with the other so anyone can help me to choose btn those to mix and match for top and bottom dwellers
If you intend to keep them, then don't get loaches.

LynnJ 10-09-2007 07:35 PM

wow...thanks for your reply. It seems very complicated as I was thinking. So in plain fish keeping language how would you stock my tank adding any of up there you think are best together for a new fresh person. I don't mind to add few barbs or guornami in too but I love catfish but my tank is small so I think cories are the best for me. I could careless for loaches and plecos.

By the way regarding the names. I looked from one online pet store that I am planning to order my fish and those are the name they used....

Lupin 10-09-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

wow...thanks for your reply. It seems very complicated as I was thinking. So in plain fish keeping language how would you stock my tank adding any of up there you think are best together for a new fresh person. I don't mind to add few barbs or guornami in too but I love catfish but my tank is small so I think cories are the best for me. I could careless for loaches and plecos.

By the way regarding the names. I looked from one online pet store that I am planning to order my fish and those are the name they used....

I'm more of a loach nut although I keep synos and cories myself.:) Those names are a little outdated I believe. Show them new resources so they can update their information.

Here are my options if the tank were mine:
1st-15 panda cories/8 Bronchis splendens, 6 otos, 20 black phantom tetras/30 ember tetras, 10 hatchetfish

2nd-10 panda corydoras, 8 kuhli loaches, 20 black phantom tetras/30 ember tetras, 10 hatchetfish

3rd-6 Botia striata/histrionica/kubotai/rostrata, 15 rosy barbs, 15 zebra danios

As Botia almorhae has a tendency to reach 5-6 inches, it is best to leave them to a larger tank.

LynnJ 10-10-2007 02:13 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I think I will go with the second option. I know you told me Oto are very delicate so I should just stay away from them till I get used to fish keeping. But my concern is this don’t you think the number is too much for my tank? I have only 30 G long

gus6464 10-10-2007 03:48 PM

If you wanted some Oto's for algae control you could always go for a BN Pleco. I have one and all he eats is algae off everything that has it on my tank (plants, driftwood, walls). He keeps my tank spotless. They are also pretty small (they have a full size one at my LFS and he is at the most 3in.)

Lupin 10-10-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much for your help. I think I will go with the second option. I know you told me Oto are very delicate so I should just stay away from them till I get used to fish keeping. But my concern is this don’t you think the number is too much for my tank? I have only 30 G long

Ember tetras do not exceed more than 3 cm so you can get 30 of them. I'll correct my 3rd suggestion cutting the number of rosy barbs and zebra danios to 10 instead.:oops: