Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Deciding on new 55 gallon stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/deciding-new-55-gallon-stocking-87103/)

chevysoldier 12-01-2011 12:42 AM

Deciding on new 55 gallon stocking
 
So my wife and I have been to some LFS's to check out fish for the new tank I am setting up. After making a list, I have researched them online to decide what might work out.

The tank's inside measurements are 47.5" x 11.8", water depth of 20". Tap pH is 7.8-8.0, GH 150ppm and KH about 300ppm. Sand substrate, planted, rocks and driftwood. Only thing I am sure on for stocking will be Malaysian Trumpet Snails and about 8 Platies.

I have one more big LFS to check out but this is what I am contemplating on right now. This isn't a stocking list, just possible ones I could stock.

Boesemani Rainbow- 6-10
Bristlenose Pleco- 1 maybe 2
Cherry Barbs- 6-10
Clown Pleco- 1
Corydora Catfish- 6
Endlers- ?
Gold Barb- 6-10
Rubber Lipped (Bulldog) Pleco- 1
Swordtail-?
Turquoise Rainbow- 6-10
Yoyo Loach- 3-4

Possibly 3 Kuhli Loaches instead of the Yoyo but I don't think these would do well in my hard water.
I also wouldn't mind 1 larger centerpiece fish but I don't know what would work well.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated!

1077 12-01-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevysoldier (Post 908574)
So my wife and I have been to some LFS's to check out fish for the new tank I am setting up. After making a list, I have researched them online to decide what might work out.

The tank's inside measurements are 47.5" x 11.8", water depth of 20". Tap pH is 7.8-8.0, GH 150ppm and KH about 300ppm. Sand substrate, planted, rocks and driftwood. Only thing I am sure on for stocking will be Malaysian Trumpet Snails and about 8 Platies.

I have one more big LFS to check out but this is what I am contemplating on right now. This isn't a stocking list, just possible ones I could stock.

Boesemani Rainbow- 6-10
Bristlenose Pleco- 1 maybe 2
Cherry Barbs- 6-10
Clown Pleco- 1
Corydora Catfish- 6
Endlers- ?
Gold Barb- 6-10
Rubber Lipped (Bulldog) Pleco- 1
Swordtail-?
Turquoise Rainbow- 6-10
Yoyo Loach- 3-4

Possibly 3 Kuhli Loaches instead of the Yoyo but I don't think these would do well in my hard water.
I also wouldn't mind 1 larger centerpiece fish but I don't know what would work well.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated!


Were it me,(and it ain't) I would nix the gold barb's, cory's,and loaches who will not appreciate water that is very hard, and I would limit myself to one pleco of those you mentiond due to possible territorial disputes and the waste created by these fish on daily basis.
Rainbow's at number's you list would in my view be pretty and cherry barb's would come closer to accepting moderately hard water and the cherry barb's would remain smaller than the gold barb's.
I might try a few peppered cory's if my heart was set on them for they are a bit hardier than many of the other's who as mentioned,,prefer softer water.
I might run the tank at around 74 degree's as this temp would in my viewsuit those fish mentioned.
Would either place one male swordtail only in the tank, or one male and three or four females.
Some floating pennywort would be my choice as plant that would serve as both cover and feeding area for many of those fishes listed.
Hope some of this help's.

chevysoldier 12-01-2011 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 908596)
Were it me,(and it ain't) I would nix the gold barb's, cory's,and loaches who will not appreciate water that is very hard, and I would limit myself to one pleco of those you mentiond due to possible territorial disputes and the waste created by these fish on daily basis.
Rainbow's at number's you list would in my view be pretty and cherry barb's would come closer to accepting moderately hard water and the cherry barb's would remain smaller than the gold barb's.
I might try a few peppered cory's if my heart was set on them for they are a bit hardier than many of the other's who as mentioned,,prefer softer water.
I might run the tank at around 74 degree's as this temp would in my viewsuit those fish mentioned.
Would either place one male swordtail only in the tank, or one male and three or four females.
Some floating pennywort would be my choice as plant that would serve as both cover and feeding area for many of those fishes listed.
Hope some of this help's.

I kinda of wanted Loaches cause they are a little different and unique.

I have an Albino cory in my other tank and he's doing well. Although he might be the exception because I lost the 3 others awhile back. I figured it was the Angels picking on them. I really like the one I have and would like some other Cories. Do the peppered Cories behave like the Albinos?

I thought the Plecos, especially the BN were pretty friendly among their own kind. Do you suggest one type over another?

What about Endlers?


So do you think this stocking would be okay? Or is this too many school in a 55g?
Boesemani Rainbow- 6
Cherry Barbs- 8
Rubber Lipped (Bulldog) Pleco- 1
Swordtail- 1 male, 4 female (I'd like to get them to breed for my daughter)
Turquoise Rainbow- 6
Platy- 8

Maybe 3 Peppered Cories

Oh, this will be Medium planted and was thinking I'd need some floating plant. Pennywort was one I was considering

chevysoldier 12-01-2011 02:24 AM

Looks like a Clown Pleco would do better in hard water than the Rubber Lipped Pleco.

1077 12-01-2011 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevysoldier (Post 908658)
Looks like a Clown Pleco would do better in hard water than the Rubber Lipped Pleco.

Bristlenose would be my choice for they are more active ,consume algae ,and stay relatively small.
Clown pleco's are largely wood eater's and are seldom active until lights out. Not a fish I would expect to see much of, but it too stay's small.
With the swordtail's you are planning,,I would maybe not introduce platy's as well , for you could sooner,than later,,wind up with way too many babies?(platy's and swordtails can crossbreed)
Peppered cory's behave /eat ,same as other cory's and enjoy similar enviornment's although as mentioned,,I believe the peppered cory's would be more forgiving with respect to water hardness.

chevysoldier 12-01-2011 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 908679)
Bristlenose would be my choice for they are more active ,consume algae ,and stay relatively small.
Clown pleco's are largely wood eater's and are seldom active until lights out. Not a fish I would expect to see much of, but it too stay's small.
With the swordtail's you are planning,,I would maybe not introduce platy's as well , for you could sooner,than later,,wind up with way too many babies?(platy's and swordtails can crossbreed)
Peppered cory's behave /eat ,same as other cory's and enjoy similar enviornment's although as mentioned,,I believe the peppered cory's would be more forgiving with respect to water hardness.

Didn't know Clown's mainly ate wood. Looks like I'll go with a BN. I like seeing my Albino BN out and about. He does well cleaning too.

I had no idea that Swordtails and Platies can crossbreed. (Actually I know nothing about fish breeding) That's really interesting. My aunt has Platies and she said I could have up to 10 of them. I'm getting them for free so that's a big reason to go with them. Guess I'll forget the Swordtails.

Good to know about the Peppered Cories. They have fantastic personalities.

Reading up on Rainbows and seems that they won't school with other varieties. I think I will drop one type and increase the number of the other. That gives me a stocking of:

Cherry Barb- 8
BN Pleco- 1
Turquoise Rainbow- 8
Platy- 8
Peppered Cory- 3

Thanks a bunch for your help 1077!

1077 12-01-2011 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevysoldier (Post 908689)
Didn't know Clown's mainly ate wood. Looks like I'll go with a BN. I like seeing my Albino BN out and about. He does well cleaning too.

I had no idea that Swordtails and Platies can crossbreed. (Actually I know nothing about fish breeding) That's really interesting. My aunt has Platies and she said I could have up to 10 of them. I'm getting them for free so that's a big reason to go with them. Guess I'll forget the Swordtails.

Good to know about the Peppered Cories. They have fantastic personalities.

Reading up on Rainbows and seems that they won't school with other varieties. I think I will drop one type and increase the number of the other. That gives me a stocking of:

Cherry Barb- 8
BN Pleco- 1
Turquoise Rainbow- 8
Platy- 8
Peppered Cory- 3

Thanks a bunch for your help 1077!

Your welcome.

MinaMinaMina 12-01-2011 08:57 AM

The Turqs get to be 4"-5"... that seems like a lot of large, very active fish?

1077 12-01-2011 09:43 AM

I believe they will be fine in 55 gallon with weekly 50 percent water changes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2