Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Need some clarification on lighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/need-some-clarification-lighting-87092/)

Neutron 11-30-2011 09:32 PM

Need some clarification on lighting

I have a 10 gallon tank with live plants, however I have never actually payed much attention to the lighting.

The lights I have are the ones that came with the tank, two 15 watt (I believe) incandescent lights. My plants have been growing well and I've had them all for nearly a year. I have Bacopa, hygro and crypt. Don't ask me for the full names cause I have no idea, lol.

Today I went to the store and picked up a Amazon Sword plant and the guy told me they need a lot of light... Can someone please tell me if the lights I have are sufficient or if I should change them? Any recommendations on different lights?

Boredomb 11-30-2011 10:51 PM

Swords don't need a lot of light. I however would change the bulbs you have in your hood. The best kind to get would be 2 10w CFL bulbs. GE makes some that are classified as "daylight" bulbs that will work. You need some that are around 6500k. This bulbs can be produced at most hardware stores.

Boredomb 11-30-2011 10:52 PM

Well some swords do so to clarify Amazon swords do not need a lot of light.

Neutron 11-30-2011 10:54 PM

Okay great, thanks. I will look for those bulbs tomorrow.

Also, some of the leaves of the swords are at the water surface level but still submerged. I was looking for a tall plant to provide some surface cover for female bettas. Can too much light damage the leaves?

Boredomb 11-30-2011 11:02 PM

I dont think so but being closer to the light they might develop some algae on them. If the algae gets out of control that can hurt the leaf. Also might wanna wait till someone else responds as I am not totally sure on the wattage ppl run in those hoods. I am think 10w but it might be something like 13w instead.

Mikaila31 12-01-2011 12:39 PM

It can be either wattage though generally if you are just starting out less is better. Floating leaves should not develop excess algae growth. If light is in excess plants often change the compisition of their chlorophyll. Normally they get a redish tinge. The result is less efficient photosynthesis by those leaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 12-01-2011 12:46 PM

I'm in agreement with what's been posted by others. I use the GE "daylight" 10w compact fluorescent bulbs on my 10g (2 bulbs) and it is perfect. With your stem plants though i would go with the 13w bulbs. Probably 8-10 hours per day should do it. N utrients must be in balance to avoid the algae.

Neutron 12-01-2011 04:38 PM

I went to Wal-mart today and could not find the bulbs you guys are talking about.

Could only find 25-40 watt bulbs in the lighting section. I'll keep looking..

Quantum 12-01-2011 05:11 PM

There may be two watt numbers on the package. Watt equivalent, which would be higher and is a measure of light output as compared to an incandescent bulb of that wattage. The other number would be actual watts used, which is what you need in the 10-13 range. For example a 14 watt CFL will be about 60 watt equivalent.

Boredomb 12-01-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum (Post 909195)
There may be two watt numbers on the package. Watt equivalent, which would be higher and is a measure of light output as compared to an incandescent bulb of that wattage. The other number would be actual watts used, which is what you need in the 10-13 range. For example a 14 watt CFL will be about 60 watt equivalent.

As Quantum has said they will say to different Watts on the package. Also just to make sure everyone is on the same page the CFL bulbs are the spiral ones or the energy saver bulbs. I know the walmart near me carries them.