Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Half-Moon Betta not eating anything. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/half-moon-betta-not-eating-anything-87085/)

Stoke88 11-30-2011 09:20 PM

Half-Moon Betta not eating anything.

My fiancee and I just recently purchased a Betta and its not eating anything. The water conditions are near perfect for the Betta. There's no Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates to be seen at all and the PH is 7. We've tried Freeze dried bloodworms, Betta flakes, and Betta color enhancing pellets. We purchased him this past weekend so 4 days should be enough for him to be used to his new home right? What else can we try?

thekoimaiden 11-30-2011 11:24 PM

Healthy fish can easily go a week without eating. He might be taking a little longer than normal to adjust. Try not offering anything at all for a few days and see how he reacts.

1077 12-01-2011 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 908481)
Healthy fish can easily go a week without eating. He might be taking a little longer than normal to adjust. Try not offering anything at all for a few days and see how he reacts.

I agree, Better to let the fish get hungry than to add food which is not eaten.
Foods that lay on the bottom between water changes will cause problems with water quality .

Romad 12-01-2011 05:29 AM

My latest betta did pretty much the same thing for about a week. Try breaking up the pellets and let them sit for an hour or so in the tank. If he doesn't eat them after that, remove what's left with a turkey baster.

He'll figure it out soon enough. The garlic is a good idea too.

BettaProffess 12-09-2011 12:29 AM

He's probably still adjusting to his new home, it's not uncommon for a new betta to not eat at all for the first week or so. I'd call and ask the store you got him at what exactly they have been feeding him. Betta's can be horribly picky, right down to the brand and shape of food.

As long as he's healthy and active with good color and loose fins he should be fine. Just keep an eye on him for any other potential signs of illness.
You can either keep offering, perhaps every other day or so, and remove any un eaten foods or find out what exactlly he was being fed before and switch to that.

Best of Luck!

Stoke88 12-09-2011 07:55 AM

He seems very healthy. He swims all over the bowl with his fins a flowing. Last night he picked at some bloodworm so I'm hoping were going in the right direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jayy 12-23-2011 11:57 PM

When you say bowl, how big are we talking? I wouldn't recommend anything under 2.5( two and half) gallons. Also do you have a heater?

diablo13 12-29-2011 10:13 AM

Do you have a heater for it? Some bettas are picky and get all sulky without warm water. And cold water causes a weakened immune system. Also, I would try the good brands, Omega One, I believe they have a Betta formula, and New Life Spectrum, im pretty sure they also have a Betta brand.
Posted via Mobile Device