Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Feeding a Senegal Bichir at 6 to 7 inch lengths (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/feeding-senegal-bichir-6-7-inch-87060/)

Sanguinefox 11-30-2011 03:31 PM

Feeding a Senegal Bichir at 6 to 7 inch lengths

For those of you who keep these beautiful curious fish what do you feed them at this size? I know people talk about different meats, as well as live feeder fish and worms. I'd rather not do live feed if I can help it due to the risk of parasites(plus there isn't a reliable source in my area for live fish). If it comes down to it I may try live worms but again I don't know of a good source that I can trust in my area.

I'd like to try cutting up some form of meats but I'd like advice on what meats will they most often go for and how do I prepare them? I've got two Senegal Bichir and I'd rather not have to keep buying those ridiculous blocks of tiny frozen bloodworm as it makes such a mess and I"m not sure how much of they actually eat.

I do currently give them nightly these little round bottom feeder pellets that have 35 percent crude protein although they are hard to find and only location in my area (or nearby) carries it so I don't want to rely on something that may disappear if that one place stops carrying it.

moomoofish 11-30-2011 03:51 PM

i have one around the same size, he loves shrimp pellets, frozen and freeze dried bloodworms, and frozen and freeze dried brine shrimp. I stay away from live foods, there r pellets called massivore pellets made by hikari which would be pretty good. Think it says they got the calories of 1.8 goldfish per pellet. I saw them online at petmountain.com

Sanguinefox 11-30-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moomoofish (Post 908024)
i have one around the same size, he loves shrimp pellets, frozen and freeze dried bloodworms, and frozen and freeze dried brine shrimp. I stay away from live foods, there r pellets called massivore pellets made by hikari which would be pretty good. Think it says they got the calories of 1.8 goldfish per pellet. I saw them online at petmountain.com

Freeze dried items tend to float at the top. They don't generally forage at the top of the water so how do you get your bichir to find and eat it?

moomoofish 11-30-2011 07:21 PM

he goes up, and attacks all the food as if they were prey lol. i guess hes used to eating at the top.

Sanguinefox 11-30-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moomoofish (Post 908319)
he goes up, and attacks all the food as if they were prey lol. i guess hes used to eating at the top.

Ah, mine won't. They tend to ignore any and all foot that's at the top of the water. Besides that anything up there is game for their tank mates.

1077 12-01-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguinefox (Post 908458)
Ah, mine won't. They tend to ignore any and all foot that's at the top of the water. Besides that anything up there is game for their tank mates.

They make sinking pellet foods, chopped frozen krill,shrimp, or live earthworms sold at bait shop's or many walmart's.
Can also use forceps to feed fishes near their hidy hole's.

Sanguinefox 12-04-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 908642)
They make sinking pellet foods, chopped frozen krill,shrimp, or live earthworms sold at bait shop's or many walmart's.
Can also use forceps to feed fishes near their hidy hole's.

I wonder how trustworthy bait worms are? I'm tempted to try that. I bought four ghost shrimp the other day and dropped them in the tank and by the morning they were gone (eaten I presume). I suppose the thing they come in may say something about the source.

I went out and got these new pellets (made of shrimp) and they are going for it at night. I'd like to put them on a variety of food though diet wise.

Sanguinefox 01-27-2012 08:41 PM

I'm only updating this for the benefit of others. I've moved on to trying live ghost shrimp when I can get it, and live night-crawlers that I cut up every other day into bichir bite sized morsels. Both of these are readily eaten by the Bichirs.

Also sinking shrimp stick like things also work well it seems.