Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish & Plant ideas for 15g once cycled (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-plant-ideas-15g-once-cycled-87028/)

tahbi 11-30-2011 02:26 AM

Fish & Plant ideas for 15g once cycled

Currently I'm undergoing a disaster. ): I didn't cycle and my 2 fish seem to be dying.

So I'm going to let my tank cycle before adding anymore fish. I heard adding plants speeds the cycle up, but what plants should I get and how many? And how can I keep them healthy at an affordable price?

Light - the light came with the aquarium and has:
HATCH
FS 22
4-22W
single 110-130V~
series 220-240V~
WITH CONDENSER
on some kind of white knob looking thing

CO2 - no CO2 added

Fertilizer - none

Gravel - black Petco sand

Plants - 1 Anarchis and 1 other plant (not sure what species)

And once my tank is cycled, what fish can I put in a 15g and how many each? I was thinking 1 betta, a group of schooling fish, maybe snails (that won't eat plants), maybe shrimp, and I would like some bottom feeders. Suggestions please? (:

Also I heard using plant food tabs can poison fish and liquid tabs will promote algae growth. So which should I use? ): I was planning on purchasing a Seachem Flourish Liquid Plant Pack that comes with Flourish, Iron, and Excel. Is that enough?

And once adding all these plants, then fish, how should I go about water changes? If I plant my tank heavily would I even have to do water changes? Thanks!

Calmwaters 11-30-2011 09:29 AM

If I were you I would go and get several more plants and plant the tank as the plants will automatically cycle the tank and you could save your fish. Also the root tabs do not poision fish as long as they are for aquarium use like the Seachem root tabs I use them in all my tanks and have never lost a fish as do most of the others on this forum, and the liguid, I use Seachem Flourish I guess could cause algae if you over dose it but I have never had a problem caused from it. As far as fish if you can get your water harndess and ph we could help you with suggestions that will work. You would still do weekly water changes with plants just do not vaccum the gravel around the plants.

tahbi 11-30-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 907709)
If I were you I would go and get several more plants and plant the tank as the plants will automatically cycle the tank and you could save your fish. Also the root tabs do not poision fish as long as they are for aquarium use like the Seachem root tabs I use them in all my tanks and have never lost a fish as do most of the others on this forum, and the liguid, I use Seachem Flourish I guess could cause algae if you over dose it but I have never had a problem caused from it. As far as fish if you can get your water harndess and ph we could help you with suggestions that will work. You would still do weekly water changes with plants just do not vaccum the gravel around the plants.

Thanks Calmwaters. (: I'll start off with root tabs and if I need to I'll get liquid ones too.

Calmwaters 11-30-2011 05:49 PM

You will probably need both because some plants absorb the nutrients from the leaves instead of the roots. Good luck and be sure to post pictures.

RadMax8 11-30-2011 05:51 PM

I would agree with the plants. I have some amazon swords in my tank. Two days after I set my tank up, I had a full bacteria bloom. Two days and a water change later, my water was crystal clear. I only changed about 30-40% of the water, and after that it was ready for fish. My danios took to it like, well, a fish to water! Good luck with your tank!

As far as fish stocking, your tank isn't too big, but having plants will help you have more fish. Keep in mind, many fish survive best in groups of 6 or more. If you could find a bottom feeder that lives best with one or two of its kind, your stocking idea looks great. I might be a little worried about the beta, simply because they are an aggressive fish.

Anyway, good luck with your tank. It can be exciting and stressful trying to get everything just right. I'm still trying with mine!

tahbi 11-30-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 908155)
You will probably need both because some plants absorb the nutrients from the leaves instead of the roots. Good luck and be sure to post pictures.

Okay I'll go ahead and get the liquid too lol thanks!

tahbi 11-30-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadMax8 (Post 908160)
I would agree with the plants. I have some amazon swords in my tank. Two days after I set my tank up, I had a full bacteria bloom. Two days and a water change later, my water was crystal clear. I only changed about 30-40% of the water, and after that it was ready for fish. My danios took to it like, well, a fish to water! Good luck with your tank!

As far as fish stocking, your tank isn't too big, but having plants will help you have more fish. Keep in mind, many fish survive best in groups of 6 or more. If you could find a bottom feeder that lives best with one or two of its kind, your stocking idea looks great. I might be a little worried about the beta, simply because they are an aggressive fish.

Anyway, good luck with your tank. It can be exciting and stressful trying to get everything just right. I'm still trying with mine!

Thanks RedMax I'll keep what you said in mind! (: