Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   All of my fish are dead! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/all-my-fish-dead-87003/)

DMoney45 11-29-2011 08:46 PM

All of my fish are dead!
 
Hi guy's. I have come home to a tank of dead fish. This totally breaks my heart. Now I have to know what went wrong. I have a 10 gallon tank, with an Aqua-tech 5-15 side hung filter. I do weekly water changes, usually around 50%. I clean the filter weekly when doing the water changes. Change it every 4th week. I use filtered water, at room temperature. Water temperature was 68 degrees Sunday morning. Went and purchased a 50w heater Monday evening, put it in the tank and set the temp at 74 degrees. Just had my water tested at the pet store, they said the water is great. So I have to assume the heater is the culprit. Does this make sense?
My tank consisted of (9) neon tetras, (3) adult red wags, (5) juvenile red wags, (3) adult dalmatian molly's & (2) juvenile dalmatian molly's. The tank has been up and running since May. Thanks for any help..

chevysoldier 11-29-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMoney45 (Post 907323)
Hi guy's. I have come home to a tank of dead fish. This totally breaks my heart. Now I have to know what went wrong. I have a 10 gallon tank, with an Aqua-tech 5-15 side hung filter. I do weekly water changes, usually around 50%. I clean the filter weekly when doing the water changes. Change it every 4th week. I use filtered water, at room temperature. Water temperature was 68 degrees Sunday morning. Went and purchased a 50w heater Monday evening, put it in the tank and set the temp at 74 degrees. Just had my water tested at the pet store, they said the water is great. So I have to assume the heater is the culprit. Does this make sense?
My tank consisted of (9) neon tetras, (3) adult red wags, (5) juvenile red wags, (3) adult dalmatian molly's & (2) juvenile dalmatian molly's. The tank has been up and running since May. Thanks for any help..

First off, you shouldn't do a water change and clean your filter at the same time. You will be getting rid of a lot of beneficial bacteria. Also, there is no real need to replace the filter unless it deteriorates. In my 50g I do a 50% water change every two weeks and rinse the filter in tank water every other off week. Doing too much cleaning at once can throw your tank into a mini cycle, ammonia spike and kills the fish.

How fast did you bring the tank up to 74 degrees? A quick temp change can stress them. It should only be about a degree every couple hours.

Someone else will know better, but that seems like it was over stocked quite a bit.

Finally, when they test water they use test strips. Those are notorious for being inaccurate. A liquid test kit like API is much more accurate.

DMoney45 11-29-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevysoldier (Post 907364)
First off, you shouldn't do a water change and clean your filter at the same time. You will be getting rid of a lot of beneficial bacteria. Also, there is no real need to replace the filter unless it deteriorates. In my 50g I do a 50% water change every two weeks and rinse the filter in tank water every other off week. Doing too much cleaning at once can throw your tank into a mini cycle, ammonia spike and kills the fish.

How fast did you bring the tank up to 74 degrees? A quick temp change can stress them. It should only be about a degree every couple hours.

Someone else will know better, but that seems like it was over stocked quite a bit.

Finally, when they test water they use test strips. Those are notorious for being inaccurate. A liquid test kit like API is much more accurate.

I really don't know how long it took to get to 74 degrees. I plugged it in at 8:00. Went to bed around 10:30, temp at that time was 70 degrees. Thanks for the heads up on the filter cleaning. Where do I get an API test kit? All they have at petsmart and places like that are the strips

chevysoldier 11-29-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMoney45 (Post 907391)
I really don't know how long it took to get to 74 degrees. I plugged it in at 8:00. Went to bed around 10:30, temp at that time was 70 degrees. Thanks for the heads up on the filter cleaning. Where do I get an API test kit? All they have at petsmart and places like that are the strips

I got mine from an LFS. A buddy of mine says they can be found on ebay for like $20. Word of caution though, when they instructions say shake it, you have to really shake it. Can't just swish it around or else it will be wrong.

Mikaila31 11-29-2011 11:16 PM

Changing water and cleaning the filter at the same time is not going to lose you a bunch of beneficial bacteria. Water changes have no effect on the bio filter. Cleaning the filter does not result in a major loss of bacteria either. Unless you are overcleaning it, those bacteria do not come off easy. However as mentioned changing the filter pad (assuming its the only pad in the filter) is a very bad move as this pretty much sends the tank into a minicycle.

I would not suspect the heater. You temp was way too low at 68* . Fish are quiet tolerable of temperature changes. Every time I change water I cause a temp fluctuation of a couple degrees in less then an hour.

zof 11-29-2011 11:21 PM

I'd just like to point out when you do clean your filter, that it should be cleaned in some tank water you just took out and not under tap as the chlorine would kill the bacteria.

tonyfoster 11-29-2011 11:43 PM

i did a 50% water change once and lost my fav fishes. since then i will do no more than 10% at a time, cleaning the gravel in sections, and waiting 2 days between each section. this process takes me about a week, creates very little stress on my fish, and i do it every 2 months.

chevysoldier 11-29-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 907466)
Changing water and cleaning the filter at the same time is not going to lose you a bunch of beneficial bacteria. Water changes have no effect on the bio filter. Cleaning the filter does not result in a major loss of bacteria either. Unless you are overcleaning it, those bacteria do not come off easy. However as mentioned changing the filter pad (assuming its the only pad in the filter) is a very bad move as this pretty much sends the tank into a minicycle.

I would not suspect the heater. You temp was way too low at 68* . Fish are quiet tolerable of temperature changes. Every time I change water I cause a temp fluctuation of a couple degrees in less then an hour.

You're right, water change alone won't but gravel vacuuming at the same time might. I just be sure I don't over clean it.

tonyfoster 11-29-2011 11:55 PM

i've been told 50% water changes were "bad" in a very loud voice accompanied by a very mean look. this is why i changed my ways and since then (about 10 years) i have only lost fish due to old age or planned consumption by other fish.

Mikaila31 11-30-2011 12:44 AM

I change at least 50% weekly. I refill by tossing dechlor in the tank and running a hose straight from the tap to the tank. Water temp is 'ball park" I use only my hands to gauge it. A water change often causes the tank temp to fluctuate at least 2 degrees, since I'm not that perfect but I don't try that hard.

I keep many fish, probably too many per tank. My more sensitive fish like neons, rummy nose tetras, angels, and GBR are not bothered by large water changes. GBR is probably one of the more temperature sensitive species, but it can still handle couple degree fluctuations without any problems.

I can't tell you how many times I've done an entire gravel vac, 50% or more water change, and entire filter cleaning all at the same time. This was done before I went into planted tanks, now I never gravel vac. Still my filter cleaning is always accompanied by a large water change.

There is no such thing as too many or too large of water changes. You could change all the water as in the end water is water. There is nothing special about tank water other then its old and holds more wastes then your tap. The only time water changes can be bad is in the case of old tank syndrome, if a tank seldom has much water changed or cleaning done it must be carefully worked back to proper maintenance.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2