Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Anyone know about frogs? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/anyone-know-about-frogs-86972/)

caseybrett 11-29-2011 03:55 PM

Anyone know about frogs?

I recently bought an albino frog, thinking he was an african dwarf frog. I think its likely he's an african clawed frog, since he's albino. He's just a baby and is living in my community tank (see 'my aquariums). Does anyone know anything about these guys? Or better yet, does anyone have one? He hides allot at the top of the tank, well untill i put a betta fish in there and then he was swimming about all over the place. 2 days after getting the betta, he died. All the other fish are fine. Now that the betta is gone, he is back to hiding again. Could the frog have killed my lovely betta? There are no other reasons for his sudden death other than that there was something wrong with him before i got him. Thats what most people think and i agree. Would be very interested to know if anyone has any experience with these particular frogs?

Sanguinefox 11-29-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseybrett (Post 906860)
I recently bought an albino frog, thinking he was an african dwarf frog. I think its likely he's an african clawed frog, since he's albino. He's just a baby and is living in my community tank (see 'my aquariums). Does anyone know anything about these guys? Or better yet, does anyone have one? He hides allot at the top of the tank, well untill i put a betta fish in there and then he was swimming about all over the place. 2 days after getting the betta, he died. All the other fish are fine. Now that the betta is gone, he is back to hiding again. Could the frog have killed my lovely betta? There are no other reasons for his sudden death other than that there was something wrong with him before i got him. Thats what most people think and i agree. Would be very interested to know if anyone has any experience with these particular frogs?

I had a few at one point and time but they never ever showed any aggression at all towards fish.In fact it's more common for them to be picked on by more aggressive fish. You only have one though? Did you know that these frogs are social? You should see about figuring out (if possible) the sex and set it up with one of the opposite. Though I hear some people say you can put frogs of the same sex in and they won't fight but I don't know the truth of it.

Sounds like to me that your Betta had something wrong before you got it. I was told by someone that currently a lot of strains of Betta are suffering from illness or disease. Also a lot of pet-stores that sell them do not take very good care of them. It's be hard for the Frog to really do anything to the Betta because they don't have teeth and can't do that much to any fish that is bigger than it and can't fit in it's mouth. If this frog is a baby than the beta is probably a lot bigger than it.

Where did your Betta come from?

caseybrett 11-30-2011 06:31 AM

I got him from 'pets at home'. Its a big chain. But I got the frog from a small pet shop. I read somewhere on the internet that the african clawed frog(what i have) will eat anything and could choke itself trying to swallow fish that are too big for it! It just seems suspect cos the frog is always so quiet but when the betta went in he was swimming about all over the place like he wanted to get away from the betta. Is it possible he felt threatened and killed it? They might not have teeth but they have 3 claws on each foot which they use to tear up their prey. I've spoke to the pet shop and theres a possibillity of returning the frog, got to speak to the manager after 1.00 today. I've grown very attached to my balloon mollys!

Sanguinefox 11-30-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseybrett (Post 907592)
I got him from 'pets at home'. Its a big chain. But I got the frog from a small pet shop. I read somewhere on the internet that the african clawed frog(what i have) will eat anything and could choke itself trying to swallow fish that are too big for it! It just seems suspect cos the frog is always so quiet but when the betta went in he was swimming about all over the place like he wanted to get away from the betta. Is it possible he felt threatened and killed it? They might not have teeth but they have 3 claws on each foot which they use to tear up their prey. I've spoke to the pet shop and theres a possibillity of returning the frog, got to speak to the manager after 1.00 today. I've grown very attached to my balloon mollys!

Was there any damage to the fish that died?

In the wild they may use their claws to tear food apart but I"m not finding anything online about them going after their fellow tank mates unless they are small like tetras. If you keep them happily fed they shouldn't go after fish that are bigger than their heads. Just make sure when full grown there is nothing in the tank small enough to be seen as food.

Of course it may also be a planting issue. If you don't provide enough cover for him to go to when he feels disturbed (such as the addition of a new tank mate) then it may very well lead to a fight. But it's still possible that your Betta had problems to begin with. It may be coincidental that the frog was swimming all over the place.

Major chains tend to (from my understanding) not always treat the Bettas well. They often house them in tiny containers, sell them matched up with insufficient substitute tanks (like tiny vases or novelty holders that are terrible for them). They also tend to not really change the water they are in as often as they should.

EDIT: You did float the fish and the bag it came in in the tank for at least 10 to 15 mins before introducing it to the tank? If you didn't that could have done the fish in.

caseybrett 12-01-2011 07:07 AM

Yeah i floated him for ages, whole process took bout half hour before i let him loose. And yes, they keep them in tiny little separation tanks in the shop. Damage?- He had a white face when i found him, it was originally almost black, but i guess that could just be the colour drained from him. I'm just gonna do a water change every two days for a week i think, since the frog died yesterday as well. Tetras and balloon mollys are fine. Think he had accidentally swallowed gravel- only just found out that they shouldnt have substrate because that was a risk. All in all, regardless of what happened to the betta, the frog was a bad idea. I wasnt prepared for him and he sadly passed on as a result of my lack of knowledge at the time. Wont happen again. As for the betta, well who knows!