Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Calvus Tank Mate (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/calvus-tank-mate-86959/)

Joshp689 11-29-2011 11:38 AM

Calvus Tank Mate

Hello every one,

I am new to this site but not to keeping fish(I am still learning tho). My question is I have a 75gal with a 30 gal sump, I am looking to keeping some African Cichlids in it. I really like the Black Calvus, but I want more then just them so I need some advice on tank mate. I have some ideas on what other fish I want to keep but not 100% sure I can here is the list(I have a bigger list at home, I cant remember them all)

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Red Peacock Cichlid

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Kenyi Cichlid

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Tretocephalus Cichlid Tanganyikan African Cichlid

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Yellowfin Borleyi Cichlid

Cobalt Blue Zebra Cichlid (Pseudotropheus zebra)

Neolamprologus brichardi

F0 P. fredrichsthali

Cyprichromis Leptosoma Xtreme Aquaristika......jo? samo jedan akvarijum...: ENG Cyprichromis leptosoma - beautiful Tanganyika sardines

Tropheus sp. Kiriza (Kaiser 2) ://www.flickr.com/photos/teejaybee/231642299/

Joshp689 11-30-2011 02:27 PM

so I have done some research and this is what I have found all of these Cichlids have the same water conditions, so now I am mostly worried about behavioral compatibility

from left to right name, Temp, GH, PH, Size, Location

calvus 72-82 10-20 7.8-9 6inTanganyika

brichardi 72-82 10-20 7.8-9 4inTanganyika

red peacock (Aulonocara sp 76-82 10-15 7.8-8.6 5in Malawi

Tretocephalus Cichlid (Lamprologus tretacephaleus) 72-82 10-20 7.8-9 6inTanganyika

Yellowfin Borleyi Cichlid (Copadichromis borleyi) 76-82 10-15 7.8-8.6 8in Malawi

Cobalt Blue Zebra Cichlid (Metriaclima callainos) 76-82 10-15 7.8-8.6 6in Malawi

rrcoolj 11-30-2011 07:28 PM

Since you like calvus and they are from Tanganyika I would do a Tanganyika community tank. For these types of setups I would aim for rock dwellers open water fish and sand dwellers/shell dwellers. Since you want calvus shell dwellers probably are not the best idea unless it is one of the larger growing species. The tets may work but they are very aggressive. A school of cyprichromis will fill out the open water nicely. I would buy like 8-10 calvus and aim for a pair or two. Then maybe a large growing shell dweller for the open areas.

Joshp689 12-01-2011 07:33 AM

I really want to keep the calvus and brichardi those two are my favorite so far. I also really like the "cyprichromis" how do you think those 3 would be in the tank? also I would like some type of catfish or scavenger, any ideas?

Joshp689 12-01-2011 10:17 AM

I found some catfish that are from Africa here is the list:

Synodontis Ocellifer Catfish (Synodontis ocellifer)
Synodontis Eupterus Catfish (Synodontis eupterus)
Upside Down Cat (Synodontis nigriventris) **this one is my least favorite
Synodontis Flavitaeniatus Catfish (Synodontis flavitaeniatus)
Giraffe Nosed Catfish (Auchenoglanis occidentalis)
Synodontis lucipinnis

rrcoolj 12-01-2011 07:28 PM

The calvus and brichardi could work but brichardi especially pairs are VERY aggressive. make sure you create separate territories for them so there will be little fighting. As for catfish I would look at synodontis occelaris or multipunctatus. They are actually native to lake Tanganyika, won't outgrow the tank, and are capable of defending themselves against nasty cichlids. They like to be in groups so get at least 3.

Joshp689 12-01-2011 09:22 PM

What do you think the total number of fish I could have(my tank can handle a huge bio-load, I will run out of space before I worry about bio-load). keep in mind I don't want fish that will get over 6-7 inches.

rrcoolj 12-03-2011 05:20 PM

No more than one brichardi or one pair if you want. A pair of calvus(or a small group of 6 if only getting one brichardi) and maybe 8-10 cyps. You can also do a small group of caudopunctatus for the open sandy areas.