Tropical Fish Keeping banner

can different platys coexist?

14K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  krish 
#1 ·
heello...

Because i recently learned my tank is too small to fit swordtails, I've turned to platys. There are quite a few cool ones out there, but i cant decide on how many of each to put in. The fish in my 29 gallon tank are/will be 8-12 neon tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, 2 kribs, and platys, but i'm not sure how many to put. Also, because there are so many, can I mix and match different variations and will they be fine with each other, because I like the marigold, tuxedos, red wags, and sunbursts. Heck, i like them all :lol: anyways, i want to know how many platys i can put in my tank, and if i can put different kinds and if they will be fine.

Thanks a lot! :-D

#2 ·
Different kinds of Platy can live in the same tank, but will breed mutts. But two real problems here is that you're still (just like in the other thread) talking about mixing soft/acidic fish with hard/basic fish AND your mixing in some fish that may not work with the Kribs when they start to breed. There's some trouble brewing. What are your water parameters, especially pH and hardness? We can figure out some suitable fish from there.

#3 ·
hi! My tank pH is like 7.0-7.2 ish, and when I asked my local petsmart guy about my hardness, he said it's ok... :dunno: So yeah. I read about the neon tetra and the swordtail/platys in the fish profile section and it says that neons can be in the rang of 6.8 to 7.8 and swordtails and platys are in the 7.2 to 7.8 range. it looks like they can coexist to me... Anyways, the reason i was looking for platys and swordtails was i want some top water fish, or some kind of fish that stays at the top, mostly. I crossed out the gouramis because the petsmart guy said they were sedate fish and there would be too much action so they would be stressed. he recommended platys or swordtails, and mollies apparently do better in brackish, so... i dunno.

Anyways, thanks a lot!!

#4 ·
Neon Tetra should be 7.0 or under, and Platy should be 7.0 to 8.0. The pH would be good for the other fish (Kribensis, Zebra Danio, Bristlenose Pleco). The Neons might be small enough for the Kribs to eat, and if the Kribs are breeding they will certainly become aggressive towards them and anyone else. The Common Molly doesn't need brackish water, but does need a higher pH. Have you thought about any tetras? There are plenty of very colorful ones that prefer the middle to top range.

#5 · (Edited)
hmm... :-? I kinda like platys. Do you think I could replace the tetra school with danios, and the tank will be fine? I just think there are some really cool platys out there that I want to put in my tank. I think that zebra danios and platys would be fast enough to escape the kribs if they're aggressive while breeding, right? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.