Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Truly Compatible? Apple Snails & Dwarf Shrimp (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/truly-compatible-apple-snails-dwarf-shrimp-86919/)

shunyata 11-28-2011 06:29 PM

Truly Compatible? Apple Snails & Dwarf Shrimp

1 Attachment(s)
I've always had an issues with over feeding, which in this case has led to some flatworms. They seem to not be causing any harm, but I have been cutting back on the feeding in an attempt at balance.

I fear I may have swung too far to the underfeeding side. Some of the adult snails have parts of their tail ends missing. At first I assumed it was a genetics issue; these are likely over-bred since they are a gorgeous magenta shell with a light foot. No probelm, we'll get some from another source, diversify, etc. Right?

Well, more and more of my snails are showing this trait. At first it was just one, then three, now it affects more than half of the adults. And I'm pretty sure some are getting worse. Then, today, I noticed a shrimp hanging out on one of the affected snails. He was picking away at the area. Now, maybe he's just cleaning the trapdoor or some such. But...

I fear that the shrimp are eating the snails alive!! I would love to be told I'm wrong on this.

I have several types of shrimp in my tank:

Blue Pearl (Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis)
Cherry (Neocaridina heteropoda var. red)
Yellow (Neocaridina heteropoda var. yellow)
Caridina babaulti "green"
Caridina babaulti "black"
Caridina babaulti "stripe"
Caridina cf. propinqua orange
Amano (Caridina japonica)

InvertPlanet 12-07-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shunyata (Post 905979)
I've always had an issues with over feeding, which in this case has led to some flatworms. They seem to not be causing any harm, but I have been cutting back on the feeding in an attempt at balance.

I fear I may have swung too far to the underfeeding side. Some of the adult snails have parts of their tail ends missing. At first I assumed it was a genetics issue; these are likely over-bred since they are a gorgeous magenta shell with a light foot. No probelm, we'll get some from another source, diversify, etc. Right?

Well, more and more of my snails are showing this trait. At first it was just one, then three, now it affects more than half of the adults. And I'm pretty sure some are getting worse. Then, today, I noticed a shrimp hanging out on one of the affected snails. He was picking away at the area. Now, maybe he's just cleaning the trapdoor or some such. But...

I fear that the shrimp are eating the snails alive!! I would love to be told I'm wrong on this.

I have several types of shrimp in my tank:

Blue Pearl (Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis)
Cherry (Neocaridina heteropoda var. red)
Yellow (Neocaridina heteropoda var. yellow)
Caridina babaulti "green"
Caridina babaulti "black"
Caridina babaulti "stripe"
Caridina cf. propinqua orange
Amano (Caridina japonica)

The shrimp and snails should be at best be kept in a species only tank. Less predatory activity and more successful breeding