Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   10 fish flushed in the last 12 hours don't know what to do (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/10-fish-flushed-last-12-hours-86911/)

Robyn and Jason 11-28-2011 04:23 PM

10 fish flushed in the last 12 hours don't know what to do

I have a 120 gal tank with a eheim pro 2 and aqua clear 110 filters.I do weekly 10%-25% water changes temp is 80 . I have gravel rocks and drift wood.I have had the tank for about 5 weeks now got it second hand so all fish camewith the tank.
the guy I got the tank off of had it for 7 years there was about 40 cichlids before They started dyeing 12 hrs ago they lost colour and cloudy eyes and were. Dead with in half an hour after threr color loss. took water to the pet store they said my water was exelent And they have no idea why they are dyeing so if some one could help me that would be great.

Calmwaters 11-28-2011 04:51 PM

I am guessing your tank is going threw the cycle. When the store tested the water if they used strips instead of a liguid test kit the readings were more than likely wrong. When you moved the tank to your house did you keep the filter media wet? Did you clean the gravel? Are the fish gasping at the top of the tank?

enthusiast 11-28-2011 04:52 PM

wow seems tragic! Idk what could cause it...the only advice I could ever give when fish start dropping like htat is to do drastic water changes and to treat the new water with a chorline remover. I'd do 50% water changes DAILY until things started to look upward...

Romad 11-28-2011 05:24 PM

Sounds like you lost your beneficial bacteria. If the filter wasn't running in between the time you bought it and the time you set it up, you lost any benefit of the cycle.

Your fish are probably dying due to ammonia or nitrIte poisoning. Do a really big water change, test the water constantly with a reliable liquid test kit and continue to do water changes until your levels are stable.

Good luck, keep us posted, and welcome to TFK.

Robyn and Jason 11-28-2011 05:26 PM

We left the water in the filter and we put new gravel in as the old gravel had a really bad smell to it we also replaced the little filter as the old one did not work
Posted via Mobile Device

Robyn and Jason 11-28-2011 05:33 PM

4 more gone man this sucks
Posted via Mobile Device

Calmwaters 11-28-2011 06:11 PM

You have lost alot of your good bacteria by removeing the gravel. You need to dose with prime water conditioner, do daily water changes, and buy an API master test kit so you can test the water to keep an eye on the water so you will know when the cycle is complete. You maybe able to save some of the fish if you do these things. You can read more about the cycle here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

Gramayr 11-28-2011 06:35 PM

My tank was a bit green the other day so I did a 30% water change, washing the filter sponge (Fluval 2 - ancient thing) in the discarded tank water. Added dechlorinater as per bottle instructions and added some KB bacteria stuff to give the filter a boost.
The day after my partner said she found one of my Trilineatus Corys dead :cry: said it had lost all of it's colour, keeping an eye on my tank now and looking at getting a better filter.

Robyn and Jason 11-29-2011 01:59 AM

Well now I feel like a total idiot been looking at the tank pulling fish out all day and just noticed one of the filters was unplugged so now trying to have good thoughts and hope that is the problem.

bearwithfish 11-29-2011 07:54 AM

that along with all the BB lost when changing gravel.. like everyone said stay on 30-40% water changes daily untill things level out... and test in the morning and at night with a good liquid test kid if you can ... hope things get better..