Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What Powerhead for 75g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-powerhead-75g-86861/)

trit0n2003 11-27-2011 10:37 PM

What Powerhead for 75g

What rate hydor powerhead should i get to increase the circulation around my 75g tall tank?

It has 5 discus so I don't want TOO much flow to make them uncomfortable, but just a little extra flow to help move around the CO2 and nutrient rich water. I don't feel like my canister filter is doing enough.

Mainly just saggitaria, vals, a few swords, anubias, and few species of crypts.

1077 11-28-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trit0n2003 (Post 905271)
What rate hydor powerhead should i get to increase the circulation around my 75g tall tank?

It has 5 discus so I don't want TOO much flow to make them uncomfortable, but just a little extra flow to help move around the CO2 and nutrient rich water. I don't feel like my canister filter is doing enough.

Mainly just saggitaria, vals, a few swords, anubias, and few species of crypts.

I use the hydor Koralia II on 80 gallon and it provides considerable movement.
I might try the Koralia I.
Mine is on timer to come on with light's.
At night while fish are resting,,it is off.;-)

trit0n2003 11-28-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 905429)
I use the hydor Koralia II on 80 gallon and it provides considerable movement.
I might try the Koralia I.
Mine is on timer to come on with light's.
At night while fish are resting,,it is off.;-)

Yay someone replied lol do you think the koralia 2 would be too intense for my discus? Should I try the 1?
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 11-28-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trit0n2003 (Post 905575)
Yay someone replied lol do you think the koralia 2 would be too intense for my discus? Should I try the 1?
Posted via Mobile Device

Depend's on what the filter you have is producing with regard's to movement.
I kept a group of five Discus in 80 gal with two Emperor 400 filter's by Marineland and this was plenty of filtration without the Koralia.
80 gal is now filtered by Aquaclear 110, and Koralia II is placed at other end of tank to help with movement of water back to the end where filter intake is.
Am planning on FX5 for the 80 gal and will not need the koralia but until then..8-)

trit0n2003 11-28-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 905583)
Depend's on what the filter you have is producing with regard's to movement.
I kept a group of five Discus in 80 gal with two Emperor 400 filter's by Marineland and this was plenty of filtration without the Koralia.
80 gal is now filtered by Aquaclear 110, and Koralia II is placed at other end of tank to help with movement of water back to the end where filter intake is.
Am planning on FX5 for the 80 gal and will not need the koralia but until then..8-)

I use a canister filter that is rated at 369 gph, but with the filter media it is slightly lower. Plus I've heard that (my filter model), the flow rate slows a little more over time. I think I notice it lol.

I don't want to get something too powerful or too weak lol I just don't have a reference to look at.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nubster 11-28-2011 01:52 PM

If I can find the magnets that hold it to the glass...I am going to add a nano to my 75g tank just for a little extra current. Not sure the specs...I can't remember but I want to say it was <200gph. It's an older model.

trit0n2003 11-28-2011 06:29 PM

I saw a video of someone with the koralia evolution 750gph in a planted tank and it looked pretty good. I'm asking for that for christmas lol
Posted via Mobile Device