Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Dwarf cichlids?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/dwarf-cichlids-86841/)

Jayy 11-27-2011 06:45 PM

Dwarf cichlids??

I want to add a splash of color to my tank and I've been told that dwarf cichlids are the way to go. Based on our profiles it seems boilvians,kribs,and cockatoo would be best. I've been also told that I could keep blue rams,but from what Ive read they're quite hard to keep. My tank is a 55 gallon and I have ten harlequin raboras. The filter is a marineland emperor pro and my ph is under 7. From this info which would be best??

cichlidlover 11-27-2011 07:49 PM

Rams are a bit more on the aggressive side.. Esp if you have more than one pair..
I'd recommend Kribs.. They are usually cheaper and more widely available (atleast in my general area anyway)
They are very versatile when it comes to water conditions, breed fairly easily and are very great parents..
I currently have 2 pair in a 30G (soon to be split up) but they are still breeding..
With kribs too, they LOVE coconut shells, they do best with them vs. clay pots.

2 pair would probably be perfect for what you have.. Just make sure there are plenty of caves to choose from as they will each need their own "territory" or they could become aggressive towards each other competing for their own space!

Calmwaters 11-27-2011 08:13 PM

I would not do two pair of the kribs due to the aggression when they are breeding I would only do one pair. They get 4 inches long so they are not that small. I have a 55 gallon and currently have a pair on hold at the LFS to add to my tank.

Jayy 11-27-2011 09:25 PM

ok, thanks. Where would I find the coconut shells?

aunt kymmie 11-27-2011 10:02 PM

My vote goes to the cockatoos. I have a group of 8 in my 75gl and I see no issues with aggression amongst the grouping. They get on very well with each other, and with everyone else in the tank. Very nice fish. :-)

Jayy 11-27-2011 10:09 PM

Ok soo thats two for the kribs and cockatoo. I do agree with you, from what I read they're very peaceful fish.

aunt kymmie 11-27-2011 10:29 PM

Another GREAT dwarf cichlid is the lyretail checkerboard cichlid (dicrossus filamentosus) and they are, in my opinion, the most beautiful of all the dwarf cichlids.

fryup 11-28-2011 07:19 AM

kribensis are a good fish to keep , but as said, they are very terratorial and will defends there fry with there lives !!!

:):):)

Jayy 11-28-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 905264)
Another GREAT dwarf cichlid is the lyretail checkerboard cichlid (dicrossus filamentosus) and they are, in my opinion, the most beautiful of all the dwarf cichlids.

Yes, I do agree that they're very beautiful, but it seems they're also hard to find.

GreenPlanet 12-02-2011 03:16 PM

as Kribensis grows 4 inch long then I guess its not that small . I am also looking for tiny easy to breed cichlid ... Which one should I go with ...... !!