Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   Diy: Effective canister filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/diy-effective-canister-filter-86795/)

brokenrules69 11-27-2011 04:12 AM

Diy: Effective canister filter

1 Attachment(s)
all over the internet i have seen these little diy canister filters that hardly do anything

this is my take on a diy canister filter that will be put into effect as soon as i get the money for supplies

the most expensive thing is the power head and i have one already

baisc run down
CANISTER- 5 GAL BUCKET (as of now it think this will work just working on ideas to seal lid and also allow for cleaning/servicing)

-BOTTOM TO TOP-

egg crate at the bottom - intake
to not decrease flow

sponge filter for bulk and bio

then bio self explainitory

ammonia chips for over stock of my cichlids

then polishing pads to make sure its perfectly clean probably not nessisary

I DIDNT PUT THIS IN THE SKETCH BUT PROBABLY ANOTHER EGGCRATE AT THE TOP AGAIN FOR WATER FLOW

ideas critisim and help wanted

if u have experience with something like this

THANKS

DKRST 11-27-2011 08:38 AM

Biggest problem you may have is getting a good seal on the bucket and the supply lines. You don't actually need a perfect seal for this to work. However, when your power to the pump fails (not if...), failure to have a really good seal will result in a wet floor and a drained tank, potentially.

That's one issue with many of the home-designed wet/dry systems. People rely on suction instead of overflow and the siphon drains the tank, overflowing the wet-dry when power fails. I know you are not building a wet/dry, but you have the same basic issue regarding water. Canisters can be built, but again, the seals can be problematic. I'm all for DIY and saving $$, but with my tanks on the 2nd floor of my house, I keep any experiments/DIY builds in the garage until I know they are failure-resistant!

Good design, I hope it works well for you. If you use any silicone sealant - please be aware that it does NOT bond with every type of plastic (it won't bond to plexiglass well, for instance). You are much better off with gasket/pressure-sealed plumbing fixture for passing hose connections through the bucket lid than overusing silicone. That can be another failure point on occasion.

zof 11-27-2011 01:24 PM

I was planning the same type of project, what stopped me from DKRST pointed out was getting the air tight seal with the lid and the plumbing, so I gave up on the idea. Let us know how it works out for you and what issues you had to overcome, would be interested in your results!

BTW it might be easier to plumb both the intake and outtake through the lid, instead of the side of the bucket, just run a tube through the filter material for the intake to the bottom.

brokenrules69 11-27-2011 02:27 PM

i was using this guys basic idea using bulk heads on the top

ill make a better vid on how to construct when i get all the materials together

and about flooding on the intake i was going to use the U part of a hob filter and drill some holes about one inch from the top to allow for equal filtration threw the whole tank and if it fails the holes should allow enough air to stop the siphen

zof 11-27-2011 04:11 PM

With an air tight seal you shouldn't need to worry about a siphon break, thats where the issue comes in finding someway to clamp that lid down tight, its possible but would have to find some fasteners that would work. While silicone wouldn't adhere well to the plastic container it would make a great gasket if you put an even bead all along the lid where it touches the bucket and the use of some fasteners.

I don't like siphon breaks for one reason, if you have alot of evaporation then you could reach that hole with in a week or two then you pump would run dry.

Oh and the reason his is so loud is because he has the pump glued into the bucket, attaching it to the top with rubber feet will lead to less noise/vibration.

brokenrules69 11-27-2011 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yea i was gonna look around for a bucket with a locking lid or maybe even another large container to hold it idk

there is this tall food storage container that i keep my dog food in
its $1 at my local dollar tree
it has a lid that screws on to keep food fresh
but it only holds 4 liters idk if its big enough to work efficiently this is a pic of it

maybe even connecting 2 running off one pump??

zof 11-27-2011 10:30 PM

The strange shape will make it hard to get your filter material in there, plus as you pointed out its not huge. Two in a row would work but you would lose flow with your pump.

brokenrules69 11-27-2011 11:23 PM

but thats y i shape is very small but it seems just big enough for the pump and media to fit in

and as for the flow i was planing on using the aquaclear 901 with 935gph but i only needed around 600gph for my 55 gallon tank

because i was also gonna have hob filter as well because its for african cichlid tank that must be over stocked

zof 11-28-2011 12:22 AM

Again best of luck will be interesting to hear your results with what ever container you end up with, also just as a side note, have you considered a sump instead? 10 gallon sump on a 55 gallon would work really well, and should be pretty inexpensive.

brokenrules69 11-28-2011 01:10 AM

yea sump was my first idea this just seemed so much simpler and easyer to construct no cutting glass and cauking

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/c...wi-tank-85118/
goto second page

i was gonna go with a 30g long 36in i have plenty of extra tanks thanks to my addiction to craigslist
but it seems more complecated and more expensive to mee
probably because i had no clue what i was doing with it

last night i made a test run of what this would be like and it seemed to work alright but i used a maxwell house metal coffee can ran input and output threw the top but top couldnt stand the pressure popped off every time i plugged in the pump but i also used the model lower of the aquaclear powerheads i used the 70 that puts out 400 gph

i just basicly just stuffed it full of random stuff i had laying around

maybe ill rebuild it tonight and make a video