Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Golden wonder killifish (Aplocheilus lineatus) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/golden-wonder-killifish-aplocheilus-lineatus-86705/)

Jayy 11-25-2011 09:34 PM

Golden wonder killifish (Aplocheilus lineatus)

Recently I've found out that I have softwater. This has upset, because I love livebears. Platies and mollies are some of my Favorite fish. I like their body shape and the fact that they're colorful. They also added a splash of color to my tank. I've been having a hard time stocking my tank because I can't find fish to replace their colorfulness. Every fish that I found hard a drawback. Colombian tetras: They weren't compaciable with the fish i wanted to keep. Cherry barbs: They males look nice,but the females are plain. Honey gourami: They eat anaharis which I have in my tank. Now it looks like the killi may have one aswell. On every site I've been on the say that they eat small fish such as neons etc. I have ten harlequin rasboras, but their shaped different from them. I also thought that adding a young,small and letting growup with the other fish would work. Would this work? If not please feel free to tell about other fish.

MinaMinaMina 11-25-2011 10:28 PM

South American dwarf cichlids? It would help to know what size tank, what occupants, filtration, etc. But there are some colorful fish out there! Keep your chin up!

Jayy 11-25-2011 11:47 PM

oops its a 55 gallon with ten black harlequin rasboras. I'm running a marineland emperor pro and my ph is under 7.

Jayy 11-26-2011 08:33 AM

Bump ^^

Jayy 11-26-2011 05:49 PM

^^^^

eatmysox 11-26-2011 07:34 PM

I am currently keeping and breeding these, they are alot of fun. The males get great colors while the females stay a little more drab. They tend to eat anything that they can fit in their mouths. I will say that there are many different livebearers and though they tend to prefer hard alkaline water they will still do well in softwater. I currently am linebreeding Berlin swords and Gary and Tim mousseau's line of Half Black Yellow Guppies in straight RO water.

Jayy 11-26-2011 07:42 PM

I read up on dwarf cichlids. I like kribs and bolivans.

Jayy 11-26-2011 07:48 PM

S
Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmysox (Post 903898)
I am currently keeping and breeding these, they are alot of fun. The males get great colors while the females stay a little more drab. They tend to eat anything that they can fit in their mouths. I will say that there are many different livebearers and though they tend to prefer hard alkaline water they will still do well in softwater. I currently am linebreeding Berlin swords and Gary and Tim mousseau's line of Half Black Yellow Guppies in straight RO water.

So do you think a killi can eat a harlequin? Do you think buying a young one and letting it grow up with them will work? As for the livebears I've been told they won't last long in softwater.

eatmysox 11-26-2011 07:51 PM

if it fits in its mouth. If both fish are at full size I would say no.

Jayy 11-26-2011 07:58 PM

Ok soo I shouldn't have to worry about it eating my rasboras cuz their max is 2in