Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Rapid fish death (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/rapid-fish-death-86689/)

quyllur 11-25-2011 06:52 PM

Rapid fish death

Ok, so I have a 20 L tank, sand substrate, live plants, a few rock structures.

Population was:
1 Electric blue Ram
5 Panda Cories
5 Cardinal Tetras
2 Ghost shrimp
1 snail

After I introduced the EBR, the two smaller pandas died, no visible symptoms. That was probably two weeks ago.

Yesterday I came home from work to find one of my three remaining pandas covered in cottony white stuff and laying on the bottom, but still alive. I ran out to the store and got Mardel Maroxy. I did a water change and dosed the tank. About an hour later the panda was dead. No signs of anything wrong with any of the other fish. Today i came home to find 4 dead cardinals and 2 dead shrimp. While I was netting out these, the other cardinal, who appeared to be fine, went belly up and died shortly thereafter. The EBR and the two remaining cories and snail appear to be fine. Should I continue dosing the maroxy? Any other suggestions?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: < 5.0 ppm

Calmwaters 11-25-2011 06:58 PM

20L=5.28 gallons if that is correct you had way to many fish in that small of a tank which I am sure caused huge amounts of ammonia which in turned stressed the fish causeing them to get to get the fungus and killed the fish. The only thing I would put in a tank that small is a betta or some shrimps.

MinaMinaMina 11-25-2011 07:01 PM

Does the OP mean a 20 gallon long?

quyllur 11-25-2011 07:03 PM

A 20 gallon long.

Calmwaters 11-25-2011 07:10 PM

Oh I am so sorry I thought you meant liters forgive me. In that case please forget what I said what does your tap water read? Do you have city water or well water?
ETA- Your dog is to cute!

quyllur 11-25-2011 07:21 PM

My tap water is city water, very soft and acidic.

Out of the tap:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0

I treat with Seachem prime before adding to the tank.

Calmwaters 11-25-2011 07:29 PM

Perhaps the city has changed something in the treatment of the water that effected the fish? There have been I think at least two other members that this has happened to. Or maybe the new fish brought in some illness that has no real symptoms I belive there are some types of internal parasites that do not have symptoms.

quyllur 11-25-2011 07:31 PM

Do you think I should continue with the Maroxy for the recommended 5 days given that I've already dosed once? Or just leave it, keep my water crystal clean and see how it goes?

Calmwaters 11-25-2011 07:43 PM

Since one of them with out a doubt had a fungus I would continue with the meds.

quyllur 11-25-2011 07:44 PM

Thank you for your help. (And for the compliment on my pup!)