Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Cabomba vs. Apple Snail (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/cabomba-vs-apple-snail-86663/)

flowerslegacy 11-25-2011 12:23 PM

Cabomba vs. Apple Snail

I have about 6 stems of Cabomba in my tall 25 gal and they're all growing wonderfully. I've had them for about a 2 months. However, my Apple Snail has started uprooting them. He tries to climb them and since he's big, and they're still fragile, they pop up out of the substrate and float to the top. Any ideas on how to anchor them? I've had to re-plant them 3 times now. I did a search and didn't come up with any ideas. Currently they're separate stems, so should I tie them together and then tie them onto a decoration? Any advice would be great. I'm new to plants . . .

Byron 11-27-2011 12:39 PM

Cabomba looks nicer in small groups, say 3 or 4 stems. Try burying more of the stem in the substrate, maybe 3-4 inches; in this case, leave the leaves on the stem, it will help to hold them down. Another trick is to use small (2-3 inch) pebbles or stones around the stem.

redchigh 11-29-2011 09:34 AM

If you have a soft substrate, you can pin the stem to the substrate with a rock.(place a rock on top of the stem)

Be careful burying the stem..If you crush it or it rots, the dead part can creep all the way up the stem and kill it.

Ogre44 11-29-2011 09:52 AM

My LFS has little lead strips that are used for weighing down plants.
For my Cabomba I made little bundles of 5/6 stems and wrapped the strip lightly around them, then stuck the ends of the bundles in the gravel.

Haven't tried them vs a snail though...

flowerslegacy 11-29-2011 01:35 PM

Thank you everyone!! I'm off to bundle them together and weigh them down. I appreciate it!

kangy 11-29-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre44 (Post 906657)
My LFS has little lead strips that are used for weighing down plants.
For my Cabomba I made little bundles of 5/6 stems and wrapped the strip lightly around them, then stuck the ends of the bundles in the gravel.

Haven't tried them vs a snail though...

When I bought my anacharis it had that weight strip on the bottom. I asked if I should leave it on and they said "no that's only for our display to keep them bundled". Are there any long term water quality issues with leaving lead in the tank?

Ogre44 11-29-2011 03:05 PM

Don't know.
My tanks only a week or so along.

redchigh 11-29-2011 03:22 PM

Well lead is toxic... Just depends on how long it takes to begin to break down.
To be safe, dip the weights in aquarium silicone..

Byron 11-29-2011 03:23 PM

I would not use them in the aquarium with fish. While it could be argued how much lead will leech into the water, and plants do have the capability of taking up some toxins including heavy metals--lead is a heavy metal that is highly toxic to all life, be it plant, animal, bacterial. I would not keep those lead weights on plants when they are planted. As we've noted in this thread, there are other safe methods.

Ogre44 11-29-2011 04:51 PM

I'll be fixing that then.
Thanks