Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Need Goldfish help quick... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/need-goldfish-help-quick-86502/)

Calmwaters 11-22-2011 02:35 PM

Need Goldfish help quick...

Just got a knock on my door my neighbor is standing there with a goldfish (she knows I love fish) and says please can you take this goldfish, one of her friends was going to flush him because she did not want it any more but she stopped them from flushing him and brought him to me. I know they need at least a 20 gallon tank but all I have are two empty 10 gallons one is tall and one is a normal 10 so which would be better until I can get him something better he is a fantail goldfish? Right now he is in a big ice cream bucket so please let me know which tank would be the better one to set up?

willow 11-22-2011 02:40 PM

i think the normal one hun for now.

Calmwaters 11-22-2011 02:44 PM

Willow thars what I was thinking to. Anybody know if there are plants that can be kept with goldies? I can hopefully get him a bigger tank this weekend.

Christople 11-22-2011 02:45 PM

maybe tough leaved plants like anabias

Mikaila31 11-22-2011 02:46 PM

You could just buy a large plastic storage bin and keep him in there.

Calmwaters 11-22-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 900067)
You could just buy a large plastic storage bin and keep him in there.

If I wasn't going to keep him I would do that but I think I will just keep him and get a bigger tank. :-) Do you think he would be okay in the 10 until I can find a bigger tank on craigslist? My neighbor said her friend has had him for about 3 years in a 40 gallon but hes not very big maybe two inches not counting his tail. I have the tank up and running with the filter its a little cloudy right now but I will post pictures later in the picture section I am so glad I had an extra filter in one of my other tanks. His fins look a little funny to me but it has been a really long time since I have had goldfish so I will get you guys opinion later on them. ;-)

thekoimaiden 11-22-2011 11:06 PM

I've kept goldfish for about 5 years and should be able to help with some basic questions. Goldfish get large. I would advise keeping him in a 29 gal at least. What type of goldfish is it? A fancy? (rounded body, double caudal fin, possible long flowing fins) Or a common? (just looks like a regular carp) This will have a lot of bearing on what you can do with your new goldy and where he should be housed.

As for plants, anacharis do well as do hornwort because they both have fast growth rates (take up a lot of nitrate which goldfish produce profusely). This also means they will be able to survive some goldfish pruning. Anubias are slow-growing and don't take up much nitrate. If you're planting to have a planted tank, they do fine, but they are not my first choice for a goldy tank.

More food for thought: goldfish are coldwater fish. Fancies like a temp around 75F but commons like/can take a lower temp. Goldfish also have high oxygen demands, so getting an airstone in his little bucket is a great idea. This also means always go for a long tank over a tall tank with goldies. Hope this helps!

Calmwaters 11-23-2011 08:15 AM

Thanks Koimaiden- I am hopefully going to be getting a 40 gallon for him today from another friend of mine. he is a fantail and yes I plan on planting the tank I have read the plants you mention do and also the thick leaved sword plants. I put some duckweed in the tank with him yesterday knowing he may or may not eat it and so far most of it is still there so if he ate some it was a little bit and if he does finish it off I always have and abundance of it in my other tanks. ; ) Would you mind takeing a look at his fins and his eyes and telling me what you think about them? Here is a link to the thread with the picture:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...13/#post900691

thekoimaiden 11-23-2011 11:08 AM

It looks like his tail has been nibbled on by something. What was the little guy housed with? A good quality diet will probably help him recover. New Life Spectrum is a high-quality commercial feed, but some sinking pellets from your LFS will do for a bit.

brownmane 11-23-2011 12:33 PM

I have to agree that his tail looks like it has been damaged in some way and he may be able to grow it back. I know that you are getting a bigger tank, but to your question of long or tall tank, goldfish need the room to swim, not the depth. I started fishkeeping with fantails. They are lovely to watch. Any floating plant will help with the water quality. Regular water changes - which you know because you have had extensive experience.

I miss mine, but I don't have the room to have a larger aquarium for them. I'm enjoying my tetras and cories in my 20 gallon:-)