Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   She ATE them!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/she-ate-them-86490/)

MoneyFish 11-22-2011 11:25 AM

She ATE them!!

So my female platy was most definitely pregnant because I found a teeny little fry staring at me from the tank this morning! I was so excited I sat and watched her for over an hour. I knew most of the fry would be eaten by the others in the tank, but I was really hoping some would survive. Well, as I was watching her give birth, she would pop out a baby and instantly hunt it down and eat it!! :shock: And if she didn't get to it first, one of the other fish did. I thought maybe she was stressed, so I turned off the aquarium light and left the room. I have no idea if she continued to have/eat anymore or not. I hear that breeder nets are not good for live bearers, so in the future I suppose I could get one to try and catch the fry to stick in there after they are born, but after watching how quickly the fry were devoured I don't think I could get them out quick enough. I was really quite disappointed to see her eating all her babies, is this normal? I thought I read somewhere that they are supposed to have some hormone that stops them from eating for 12 hours so they don't want to eat their fry? I don't know if she is done giving birth or not, she still looks a bit round and I only saw about 5-6 pop out. I wonder if she had been birthing them before I even woke up. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed a few got away and are hiding, but I doubt it. Just curious if this is normal platy behavior??

trit0n2003 11-22-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyFish (Post 899943)
So my female platy was most definitely pregnant because I found a teeny little fry staring at me from the tank this morning! I was so excited I sat and watched her for over an hour. I knew most of the fry would be eaten by the others in the tank, but I was really hoping some would survive. Well, as I was watching her give birth, she would pop out a baby and instantly hunt it down and eat it!! :shock: And if she didn't get to it first, one of the other fish did. I thought maybe she was stressed, so I turned off the aquarium light and left the room. I have no idea if she continued to have/eat anymore or not. I hear that breeder nets are not good for live bearers, so in the future I suppose I could get one to try and catch the fry to stick in there after they are born, but after watching how quickly the fry were devoured I don't think I could get them out quick enough. I was really quite disappointed to see her eating all her babies, is this normal? I thought I read somewhere that they are supposed to have some hormone that stops them from eating for 12 hours so they don't want to eat their fry? I don't know if she is done giving birth or not, she still looks a bit round and I only saw about 5-6 pop out. I wonder if she had been birthing them before I even woke up. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed a few got away and are hiding, but I doubt it. Just curious if this is normal platy behavior??

My female's would always eat their babies if they got the chance.

In the beginning, I used a floating breeder with the females, I would only place the female in there at the very last second that way she wouldn't be sitting in the confined space for days. Instead just a few hours while she gave birth (I got pretty good at noticing when they were about to "pop"). This was almost 2 years ago when I was still newer to the hobby, nowadays I personally would setup a separate 10g tank with lots of plants and hiding places for the fry (or something like that) with a sponge filter and heater instead of floating breeder.

Another answer is about how many she gave birth to. Is she young and new to the birthing process? Mine started off with low numbers at first and gradually increased each time she got pregnant. Starting with about 10 moving all the way up to 30-50. This is what I had also heard from other aquarists, numbers of fry increase with each event.

TwilightGuy 11-23-2011 12:06 PM

I agree with the above; a maternity tank is the best way to go.